Bellazon

Iron Man (2008)

Hyperion

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

It's strange to think now that Iron Man was never really considered a major player in the Marvel stable before this movie's release. Whoever decided to cast Downey as Tony Stark deserves a medal, it was an inspired choice right from the start and so key in elevating the property to where it is now.

Downey was really out of the mainstream of the industry at the time. So, it was risky and bold to cast Downey, but it turned out to be brilliant. The way the character is written and used is well done, particularly the comedic aspects.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

Also, Jeff Bridges is simply fantastic as the villain of the piece. I'm a bit sad now that they killed Obadiah Stane off, because I wouldn't have minded seeing more of the character.

In my opinion, you rarely go wrong when you put Jeff Bridges in your movie.

3 hours ago, jkjk said:

Downey was really out of the mainstream of the industry at the time. So, it was risky and bold to cast Downey, but it turned out to be brilliant. The way the character is written and used is well done, particularly the comedic aspects.

It was really interesting too to read about Jon Favreau doing a lot of improvisational stuff on set. Apparently, Marvel's executives were freaked out by it, but it ended up becoming a better movie than what was scripted. There's a famous quote that does the rounds now from Downey about the situation, "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f*** you were gonna do anyway." :laugh: