Bellazon

NHL

Capt Snow

• 2 weeks later...

The 30-team NHL is threatening to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, taking its season, financial prospects and future with it.

Unlike major league baseball, the NFL and NBA, the NHL is waging its labor dispute without a safety net in the United States.

The NHL has gone away this season with nary a peep of frustration in the American press. It is as if the NHL merely rises to the relevance of the WUSA, the defunct women's professional soccer league that passed away in silence.

More here:

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20041229...20629-8991r.htm

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard a couple of rumors in the past few days. First, the NHL and the NHLPA had a meeting without Goodenow and Bettman but no word about what happened or what was decided has been released ( If the meeting has even been held yet )

There was also a rumor that teams like the Anahiem Ducks and the Phoenix Coyotes were buying Training Camp equipment.

A source of mine says that teams may have Training Camp in the next couple of weeks, and the season will start up the beginning of Feburary.

I can only hope so because I can only live on Mystery Alaska, Slapshot and Miracle so long. :cry:

i think this season is a wash, no nhl

I'll seriously cry if that happens. I'm already going through withdrawl.

What makes it worse is that if there's no season there may not be a Draft either. And if there's no draft, my best friend is going to be pissed. He's been training for this for like...his entire life.

I don't see a chance to save the season. Harry Neale of CBC was saying the absolute latest they could save a season is to start mid-February. Its now late January and they would need to agree to something, even with the meetings going on I don't thing there is a chance.

From the Toronto Star:

NHL: More talks, no new proposals

League, union meeting again today in Toronto

Trying to `jointly craft something that might work'

Labour talks resume today in Toronto, but there won't be a new proposal from the NHL as some had expected.

There was speculation that an offer might be tabled when Mario Lemieux, owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins, withdrew from the PGA Tour's Bob Hope Classic where he was scheduled to play with Mike Weir.

"(Lemieux) said he had to be available based on meetings taking place (today)," Hope tournament director Michael Milthorpe said.

However, Bill Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer, in an email said: "Mario will not be part of the meeting."

Daly said his negotiating team met this past weekend to discuss new ideas and address some issues raised by NHL Players' Association president Trevor Linden, who initiated last week's meeting.

"Both parties agreed at last week's meeting that the time for formal proposals, at least during this process, may be behind us and we should try to sit at the table and discuss through the issues and maybe jointly craft something that might work," Daly said.

"And that's what we're going to try to continue to do."

That should appease Linden, who warned the league last Friday not to arrive at their next meeting with another salary cap proposal.

The same group of negotiators that met in Chicago and Toronto will gather again: Linden, NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin and outside counsel John McCambridge as well as Daly, board of governors chairman Harley Hotchkiss and outside counsel Bob Batterman. Again, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow will sit this one out.

The lockout, which reached its 132nd day yesterday, already has forced the cancellation of 699 of 1,230 regular-season games, plus the all-star game.

No proposals have been made since early December, when the players offered a 24 per cent rollback on all existing contracts as part of a luxury-tax and revenue-sharing system.

The NHL, seeking cost certainty, a link between revenues and player costs, turned that down and made a counterproposal five days later that was rejected in a matter of hours. The players argue that the league is trying to negotiate a salary cap.

Some suggest the solution lies in a system incorporating both a salary cap and a payroll tax.

If the season is wiped out, the Stanley Cup wouldn't be awarded for the first time since 1919, when a flu epidemic cancelled the final series between Seattle and Montreal. The NHL would then become the first major North American sports league to lose an entire season because of a labour dispute.

Optimism was expressed last Wednesday when Linden and Hotchkiss had a chance to talk one-on-one. The good feeling didn't carry over, though, and Linden reportedly told players that the NHL was still insisting on a salary cap and the season would likely be cancelled.

Daly said he was surprised that Linden came away from the meetings with that opinion because the NHL felt that some progress was made.

NHL tables new proposal to union

Canadian Press

2/2/2005

It would appear that the talking is over, at least for today.

After meeting for less than two hours, the National Hockey League and the NHLPA have broken up talks after the league presented a new CBA proposal to the union.

The NHL proposal included a revised salary arbitration system, a maintenance of guaranteed player contracts and a individual team payroll range between $32-million and $42-million.

The meeting only included NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly, league outside counsel Bob Batterman, NHL Players' Association senior director Ted Saskin and the union's outside counsel John McCambridge.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow once again sat this one out.

"The proposal features the establishment of a profit-sharing plan in which the Players and Clubs would share fairly in the health and profitability of the industry -- an undertaking unprecedented in the history of major professional sports in North America," the NHL stated in a news release.

The two sides had not met since last Thursday night in New York, when the union came away unimpressed by the league's latest ideas for a new agreement.

The season, meanwhile, continues to slip away. Through Wednesday, 762 of the season's 1,230 regular-season games had been scrapped.