Bellazon

Manuel Neuer
Thumbnail

Warhol

Manuel Neuer (born 27 March 1986 in Gelsenkirchen) is a German footballer and the current goalkeeper of Schalke 04. Neuer's hero and idol as a child was fellow German and former Schalke goalkeeper Jens Lehmann.

Honours

* Schalke 04:

o German League Cup 2005

* Germany national under-21

o UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship 2009

Personal Honours

* Best Bundesliga Goalkeeper: 2007

* Best UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship Goalkeeper: 2009

post-39254-1278192140_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Magath urges Neuer to sign up

Schalke manager Felix Magath has advised Manuel Neuer to ignore rumours linking him with a move to Bayern Munich and sign a new contract.

The Germany international's contract runs until 2012, but should he refuse to commit to a new deal before next summer, the Royal Blues would have little choice but to sell him or risk losing him on a free transfer 12 months later.

Magath knows he cannot offer the 24-year-old the same financial package that he could expect from Bayern, but he has reminded Neuer of what an honour it should be to represent his hometown club.

"I think that he knows that a decision for Schalke would be something special in this football business," Magath said.

"Only very few people have such a status and such a position in their own club.

"Manuel can develop even better and more sustainably with us because he can learn to take on more responsibility, and with that I don't mean responsibility for his and the team's performances, but responsibility for the entire club.

"He cannot do that in Munich. In Munich, he would just be an employee."

However, Magath has revealed that nobody from Bayern has made an official approach since he closed the door on a transfer a year ago.

"(Bayern's director of sport) Christian Nerlinger contacted me last year and I told him that Manuel would not be sold," said Magath in the Suddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.

"As far as I was concerned, the issue had been dealt with. Since then, nobody from Bayern has been in touch with me."

DISQUS...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...