Bellazon

Problems and Suggestions for BZ - Post Here

Joe > Average

Loving the new look of the forum.  Very nice. :thumbsup: 

Hopefully we as a community end up using the "community rep" feature with some maturity.  Another forum I was a part of a while back tried it out and it didn't go well, with some members using their daily allotment of negative votes to go after other users that they didn't care for.  The maturity level does seem considerably higher here, though, so perhaps that wouldn't end up being a problem. :smile: 

29 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

I despise likes and anything similar.......... it will ruin BZ.

+1 

eg. the dynamics we see in facebook and etc.  

It'll just cause unnecessary tension and subconsciously influence behavior.  BZ used to have rating feature a few years ago.

3 hours ago, peroxideblonde said:

how this member reputation works?

It's basically like likes.

The Vancouver Canucks (hockey team) message board runs the same software as BZ and uses the reputation function.

This is what it looks like.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 8.17.04 PM.png

1 hour ago, Limerlight said:

Also, since the update some thumbnails look really weird and messed up if not there at all :idk: 

Are you referring to people avatars in the topic lists? If so I am aware of the issue and am working on it. If its somewhere else can you please post a screenshot? Thanks. 

13 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

+1 

eg. the dynamics we see in facebook and etc.  

It'll just cause unnecessary tension and subconsciously influence behavior.  BZ used to have rating feature a few years ago.

Thanks for the inputs, I was actually thinking of just allowing people to rate particular posts. So we could have a "featured post". So say Elsa has an incredible editorial and everyone is upvoting it, then we could automatically put that somewhere to show the most popular post of the day. 

I was not really looking to rate users themselves. 

4 hours ago, peroxideblonde said:

how this member reputation works?

and i like the new style but the post and the icon are way too close

Thanks, didnt notice that. I will see what I can do. 

Just from previous experience, I think the best way to implement a rating system is to simply allow members to upvote or "like" posts but not give the option to downvote or "dislike" a post.  While upvotes can certainly be abused themselves, I've seen it on forums where the downvotes are simply a waste of time.  They're generally just used by some to lower the overall point value of members that they don't like rather than rating the actual posts themselves based on their own merit.  

Having a system with just an upvote option, though, could have some merit.  Could be used as a way of saying "thanks" to another member for a particularly good post or, as already stated, to highlight particularly good posts that have attracted a lot of attention.  There should be an option to just have the upvote (or +1, or "like", or whatever the system is calling it) without including its opposite.  That, IMO, is the best way to go with this kind of thing, just based on what I've seen before. :smile: 

1 hour ago, maddog107 said:

Are you referring to people avatars in the topic lists? If so I am aware of the issue and am working on it. If its somewhere else can you please post a screenshot? Thanks. 

XN5XjW4.png

Not just elfstone, other members too

It's what you said but just to show again :idk: 

33 minutes ago, VS19 said:

Just from previous experience, I think the best way to implement a rating system is to simply allow members to upvote or "like" posts but not give the option to downvote or "dislike" a post.  While upvotes can certainly be abused themselves, I've seen it on forums where the downvotes are simply a waste of time.  They're generally just used by some to lower the overall point value of members that they don't like rather than rating the actual posts themselves based on their own merit.  

Having a system with just an upvote option, though, could have some merit.  Could be used as a way of saying "thanks" to another member for a particularly good post or, as already stated, to highlight particularly good posts that have attracted a lot of attention.  There should be an option to just have the upvote (or +1, or "like", or whatever the system is calling it) without including its opposite.  That, IMO, is the best way to go with this kind of thing, just based on what I've seen before. :smile: 

Yup there is no negative, here are the defaults. Just neutral or +1. 

And copy/paste worked :ddr: (you can just copy an image from your browser or anywhere and hit paste and it will upload for you). 

image.png

45 minutes ago, jj3 said:

@maddog107 Hello there, just a small question, can't we adjust anymore the cover pic on our profile ? 

PS, the new rating tool could be a nice thing i think :smile: Especially if it stay only positive or neutral rates. 

Do you mean upload or move it around? I see the upload there, dont remember where the "move" button is/was. 

image.png

4 minutes ago, maddog107 said:

Do you mean upload or move it around? I see the upload there, dont remember where the "move" button is/was. 

image.png

Move it around yes, adjust. I don't see the button either, it's just like yours, only remove and upload ...