Bellazon

American Horror Story

Prettyphile

American Horror Story Season Two Scoop: New House and (Mostly) New Faces

Not all American Horror Story fans were in agreement over how to take the season-one finale last night, but we can probably all agree that AHS was one of the most thrilling shows of the 2011 season.

We hopped on the phone with cocreator and executive producer Ryan Murphy, who revealed his plans for season two: new haunts, a new cast and returning actors in brand-new roles

New Cast and New Roles: While Ryan revealed that he is talking to "a handful" of the season-one actors about returning in new roles in season two, he told reporters that next year's main cast will be all new faces”which was the plan from day one. "Some of them will be coming back. There will be familiar faces and also some new faces," Murphy teased. "The people that are coming back will be playing completely different characters, creatures, monsters, etc. [The Harmons] stories are done. People who are coming back will be playing entirely new characters." Unfortunately, he stayed completely mum on which actors might be coming back. "I would have them all back in a heartbeat. I think we'll announce the full cast and what the new storyline is going to be some time in February."

New Location: "What you saw in the finale was the end of the Harmon house. The second season of the show will be a brand-new home or building to haunt," Murphy said. "Just like this year, every season of this show will have a beginning, middle and end. [The second season] won't be in L.A. It will obviously be in America, but in a completely different locale."

New Theme: This season's theme was infidelity, and season two will also have an overlying theme running through the episodes. "The season we're planning now is very different from the California house approach," Murphy revealed. Now here comes the cool part: "There is a clue in the last three episodes where we resay what the next season will be about." Get to searching, AHS fans! And since the new season will have a new building and location, the opening credit sequence will change as well, but Ryan said he will be "hopefully" using the same artist who created season one's incredibly chilling sequence.

Sorry, Twilight Fans: Ryan is excited to explore different ghosts and horror stories, but he will not venture into Edward Cullen territory. "No seasons about vampires, but anything else is fair game."

Movie Stars: Because the shooting schedule of AHS is much like a movie commitment (three months or so), and because each season will bring new castmembers, Murphy has targeted film actors who he's wanted to work with to join the cast of season two. He reasons that since they'll only be attached to the show for one season, he can bring on people who have film careers so they won't be locked down for five seasons. "This allows for those who haven't done television to step up and say 'let's do this,'" said Murphy. "I've been getting a lot of calls from film actors who have wanted to dabble in television but never could figure out how."

Season One Postmortem:

The Finale: Murphy promised that the finale was planned since day one, and he was very satisfied that the Harmons got peace in their deaths. "I love those characters and I mourn them. I will miss them," he says. "But I think as you see in the second season some of those characters will be returning. It was always the plan. I just hope that people who loved the show will love the second season, maybe even more so based on what we've already cooked up. I thought [the finale] was a great goodbye to those characters. We were simply not interested in doing another season with those characters trapped in that house. You just have to tell the story you want to tell."

Easter Egg Hunt: One good reason to rewatch from the beginning? Murphy insists there are plenty of fun clues fans can pick up on. "I think the clues of all the deaths and everything that happened are always there right from the beginning. And there are certainly several references to Dylan and hanging and noose stuff throughout the whole season. I think that'll be fun for fans to go back and look at all those clues that we were planting right from the beginning."

Ben's Happy Ending: A lot of fans wanted Ben (Dylan McDermott) to be punished in the finale, but Ryan thinks Ben got the happy ending he deserved. "To me if he would've escaped the house with that baby and started shacking up with some other girl, I think that would have been completely out of character for the series," he said. "So I think the way that he went was interesting and justified. I like that the whole family together had peace and absolution in their death and I feel that they all grew as characters. I think that we redeemed them in a cool, interesting way."

• 4 weeks later...

Casting Underway on "American Horror Story" S2, Some S1 Actors Returning

FX president and general manager John Landgraf met the Television Critics Association to present the cable network's spring season. Taking questions, he addressed the status of "American Horror Story"'s second season and new cast.

"Ryan Murphy's already looking for that cast," Landgraf said. "He's already in active conversations with new people and also two or possibly three of the existing cast members, some series regulars or guest cast may be continuing next year although they would be playing entirely new roles."

Landgraf reiterated that he greenlit the plan to kill off the season one cast. They just didn't want the audience to know that was going to happen. "We just didn't want to tell the audience that because the experience of not knowing where it would end would be diminished, if they knew we were going to burn this cast and location to the ground."

This is something Ryan Murphy does. Maybe not on "Glee," but his previous FX show was reinvented a few times too. If you liked "nip/tuck" in L.A. (and I did. It really saved the series from the Carver and organ thieves) then "American Horror Story" is following a similar artistic path. (continued inside)

"This was something I was really excited about this idea from the get go," Landgraf said. "One of the things I think Ryan's particularly strong at is creating a really distinctive world in all its aspects. That includes the tone and mood of the place, the costume design and music, cinematography. If you looked at the way those characters were dressed, right down to Jessica Lange's wardrobe and the way her hair was style, Ryan Murphy was involved in every aspect of that. Even with nip/tuck he wanted to recreate it at a certain point so he moved it from Miami to LA. This gives him the opportunity to do that every year."

To some extent Landgraf lets Murphy do what he wants. If audiences have a hard time with the show, they're just not going to get Murphy. But there's no reigning him in.

"They have more leeway and creative freedom than most so I don't know every detail of everything they're up to, I certainly knew a lot," Landgraf said. "I knew the entire family was going to die by the end of the season. One of my biggest concerns about the piece is that the nature of the genre is that you're always ahead of the protagonist. You know things the protagonist doesn't know so we knew that certain critics and audiences would get frustrated with the leads. It's just a classic rule of storytelling the leads should know more than the audience, or at least not less. After the lead characters were dead and knew everything, they were at least by the end of the piece able to recapture their status as leads. The final episode where Vivien and Ben Harmon spook the new couple out of the house was the first time in 7 or 8 episodes where they were ahead of the audience. It was an experiment. I didn't know if that would alienate the audience. It didn't in terms of viewership. That's Ryan. He's going to push the form and go to places you wouldn't expect."

The FX thriller from "Glee" co-creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk capped off its first season run with a record 3.22 million viewers -- a strong finish for the top-rated first season series in the network's history, said THR back in December.

The finale, which drew mixed reviews from critics, delivered 2.2 million viewers in the coveted 18 to 49 demographic, and ranked as cable's No. 1 program in all of key demos Wednesday. Once DVR viewership is factored in for what Nielsen named the year's most time-shifted program, the final tally will likely exceed 5 million total viewers.

Jessica Lange Teases Potential Return To 'American Horror Story

lanf011612.jpg

TV Line reports from the ridiculously boring Golden Globes where Jessica Lange teased that she will be among the “two or three” cast members returning for "American Horror Story" Season 2 next fall.

"Yes, we are considering a second season," the actress shared backstage at the Globes. "Nothing is definite yet."

As for who else might return for an encore, Lange said, "That's going to be entirely up to [the producers]. I know that everybody that is returning will be playing a different character."

"AHS" co-creator Ryan Murphy has previously stated that Season 2 will be "radically different" from Season 1, serving up a new setting/locale and a (mostly) new cast. As for who won't be back, he only ruled out returns by Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

American Horror Story' To Be Told From A "Horror Institution

Those of you who are dying for a few clues as to what to expect from the second season of "American Horror Story," show creator Ryan Murphy opened up a bit on Bravo’s "Watch What Happens Live" Monday night.

As discovered by TV Line, during a round of WWHL's "Plead the Fifth," Murphy confirmed that Golden Globe winner Jessica Lange will appear in some capacity during the FX horror show's sophomore season. As for other returning actors, the exec producer told Cohen, "I'm in negotiations with four of the people who were on last year's show, and none of them were the Harmons" — which means Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott or Taissa Farmiga are all long gone.

Murphy also teased that the upcoming season will take place on the East Coast in a "horror institution." Now that's a way to kick it up a notch!

Season Two 'American Horror Story' Teaser Poster!

It was just teased by "American Horror Story" show creator Ryan Murphy that the forthcoming second season of the FX show would head to the East Cost into a "horror institution".

While cast is yet to be set, and production is yet to get underway, below we already a pretty awesome old-school 3-D sales poster teasing the second season of the anthology series.

Golden Globe winner Jessica Lange will appear in some capacity during the FX horror show's sophomore season. As for other returning actors, none of them will be the "Harmons" — which means Connie Britton, Dylan McDermott or Taissa Farmiga are all long gone....

post-1004-0-1446095988-01794_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Zachary Quinto Becomes 'American Horror Story' Season 2 Nemesis!

post-1004-0-1446095989-09126_thumb.jpg

While it's been reported about 3,200 times that Jessica Lange will return in FX's second season of "American Horror Story," Deadline has the scoop on the first of a handful of returning cast members.

Zachary Quinto, who did a scene-stealing four-episode arc on the first season of the Ryan Murphy/Brad Falchuk drama as the Harmon house's doomed former co-owner Chad Warwick, will be back as a series regular in Season 2, joining Jessica Lange. Like Lange, he will play a brand new character next season, which is set at an East Coast institution. What's more, the site reports that Quinto will play one of two male leads and the nemesis to Lange's character, which will be at the center of the Season 2 storyline.

In addition to Lange and Quinto, three other actors from Season 1 of "AHS" will return next season. Murphy is expected to announce their names at the show's panel tonight, which will open this year’s PaleyFest.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Trio Check Into 'American Horror Story' Institute!

"American Horror Story" co-creator Ryan Murphy announced tonight at PaleyFest that Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson and Lily Rabe will join Zachary Quinto and Jessica Lange to play completely new characters in the sophomore season of the FX horror anthology series.

Says THR, Season 2 will shift from the creepy Los Angeles haunted mansion to an East Coast "horror institution," with SAG and Golden Globe award winner Jessica Lange (who co-starred as the all-knowing nosy next door neighbor Constance) and Zachary Quinto (who recurred as a ghost trapped in the house) previously confirmed to return.

Peters co-starred as a mass-murderer-turned-ghost stuck in the house Tate Langdon, while Paulson had a more limited run as medium Billie Dean -- who in the penultimate "Birth" episode explained to Violet (Farmiga) that the house had a paramagnetic grip -- like a battery, with negative energy that feeds on trauma and draws things to it. Rabe played Nora Montgomery, one of the original owners of the house at the center of the series.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chloe Sevigny Becomes ‘American Horror Story’ Nymphomaniac!

American Psycho and Zodiac star Chloe Sevigny, who we just reported also joined the cast of Innocence, has joined Season 2 of the FX hit “American Horror Story”, reports EW.

Sevigny will play “Shelly the Nymphomaniac,” who is one of the mortal enemies of Jessica Lange’s character. Basically, prepare yourself for Lange vs. Sevigny! They add that the writers and producers of “AHS” were such fans of Sevigny that they wrote the part with her in mind.

The actress will join Lange, Zachary Quinto, Adam Levine, Sarah Paulson, Evan Peters, and Lily Rabe in the new season, which Murphy has revealed will be set in an East Coast institution for the criminally insane run by Lange’s character.

The second season is set to begin production this summer.

Casting Call Reveals Season 2 Hints;

Here's a casting notice for more season 2 characters:

AMERICAN HORROR STORY, Season 2 (New Roles)

Start/Shoot Dates: approx July 10

[TERESA] Mid 20s. Caucasian, Latin, or Asian, Very sexy. She is the other half of "The Lovers" - her fiance will be played by Adam Levine. RECURRING GUEST STAR

[ALMA] Mid 20s, African American, beautiful. RECURRING GUEST STAR

[THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BOY IN THE WORLD] 20 to 29, open to all ethnicities, would prefer shoulder-length hair, but do not limit your submissions. RECURRING GUEST STAR

[TEENAGE BOY CONTORTIONIST] 15 to 20, we are looking for an actor who is skilled at being a contortionist. Please only submit actors who have experience. GUEST STA

• 1 month later...