Bellazon

American Horror Story

Prettyphile

‘American Horror Story’ Renewed for Season 3

FX is ordering a fresh dose of television terror by renewing its hit suspense drama American Horror Story for a third installment. In a statement released earlier this evening, the network announced that AHS season 3 will return in fall 2013 with 13 all new episodes.

News of the season 3 pick-up comes just a day after last night’s episode ‘I Am Anne Frank (Part 2)’ dominated the other broadcast networks at the 10 pm timeslot among 18-34 year old demo.

Adding to the exciting season 3 news is that Emmy Award-winning actress Jessica Lange will return in a yet to be revealed new role. Lange currently headlines American Horror Story season 2 ‘Asylum’ as the sadistic Sister Jude, the head nun at the Briarcliff Mental Institution who doles out her own twisted style of pious discipline on the asylum’s residents. Lange won both a Golden Globe Award and an Emmy for playing the neighbor from hell Constance Langdon in AHS season 1.

As for the other current and former cast members - American Horror Story executive producers and co-creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk claim that many of them will also return in different roles. Actor Zachary Quinto (who currently plays Dr. Thredson on AHS: Asylum) said that while he hasn’t received the word about returning for season 3 just yet, he loves his job and the people he works with and always wants that to be the case. He went on to say, “I know [Ryan Murpy] has plans [for season 3] and if they involve me I’m sure I’ll have a call at some point.”

While remaining true to his typical tight-lipped nature, Murphy did take the time to thank the FX network and the fans that keep coming back for more horror. Murphy said this in a statement:

“The ‘American Horror Story’ anthology is a labor of love for all of us and we could not be prouder of the work our brilliant company of actors and everyone on the production team is doing this year. To John and our friends at FX and Dana Walden and Gary Newman at 20th, we thank you for your vote of confidence – and to our loyal audience, keep watching!”

John Landgraf, President and General Manager of FX Network, added to Murphy’s sentiment by heaping praise on the creators and writers that keep the American Horror Story saga high in the ratings. He also said:

“With ‘American Horror Story: Asylum,’ Ryan and Brad have raised the bar in every way from Murder House, the first American Horror Story miniseries. And their original idea – the notion of doing an anthological series of miniseries with a repertory cast – has proven groundbreaking, wildly successful and will prove to be trendsetting. We can’t wait to see what deviously brilliant ideas they come up with for their third miniseries. “

The currently untitled 13-episode season 3 is expected to begin production during the summer of 2013.

:chicken: :woot::clap:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

American Horror Story’ Season 3 Details Revealed

With the end of American Horror Story: Asylum comes questions not just related to the more ambiguous aspects of what transpired during the season, but also what the series’ co-creators, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, are cooking up for the all-new storyline of season 3.

Although work has yet to officially get started on the new season, prior to the end of season 2, Murphy let slip a few tantalizing details as to what direction the anthology would be headed. Many fans have already begun speculating that the overall theme of season 3 would have to do with witches, magic or some variation of the two, and how that will be incorporated with Murphy’s rather cryptic use of the term “evil glamour.

Additionally, the writer-director also said that he was interested in a shooting location that had seen “true horror,” leading many to think Salem, Massachusetts – which would be in keeping with the theory that the story will involve witches.

In a series of interviews with Entertainment Weekly, Murphy provided a few teases as to what the audience can expect, but remained mum on most specifics (like the season’s subtitle), which means those hoping for a confirmation or denial of the whole witches in Salem theory will have to wait just a bit longer. But considering how frequently Murphy likes to give interviews, and how much information he’s usually willing to offer up in them, we’ll likely have firmer details soon.

Murphy stated:

“I start meeting with the writers on Monday. I’ve talked to them about what I want to do and everyone loves it. I want to flesh it out a bit before I announce it. I have like 6 nominees for the word. You know this year the word was “asylum.” I’m trying to figure out which is the best one.”

As far as casting goes, it has already been announced that in addition to Jessica Lange, season 3 will count Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters among the primary cast, but no word yet on whether or not Zachary Quinto, Lily Rabe, Dylan McDermott or Asylum additions like Chloë Sevigny, James Cromwell and Joseph Fiennes will be back for another go-round with Murphy’s brand of “horror.”

And while one third of the Harmon family managed to make an appearance in season 2 (courtesy of Dylan McDermott as Johnny a.k.a. Son of Bloody Face), that meant Asylum had a noticeable dearth of Connie Britton (who is off in Nashville), as well as season 1 standout Taissa Farmiga, who played the doomed teenage lover of ghost-boy/spree-killer Tate Langdon (Evan Peters). If you missed Taissa, then you’re in luck, because, according to his statement in another EW interview, so did Murphy.

“I missed [Taissa] this season. There wasn’t really a role for her. I feel very protective of her and I didn’t want her to go back into the loony bin – it was too dark. So I thought well ‘I want Taissa to be one of the leads next year.’ I called her up and pitched her the character for the season and she loved it and she said, ‘Yes let’s do it.’ So we’re in negotiations for her to headline season 3.”

Although he did not divulge just what characters the actors will be playing, Murphy suggested that Lange will take on something more akin to her season 1 role, while the season’s tone, overall, will be a little lighter, with funnier and more romantic moments.

“I think Jessica is going back to be in that Constance-vein. She’s gonna go back to her evil roots, Jessica Lange.

There’s a romantic element. I think the whole season I want to be funnier, romantic. But make no mistake, just when I think it’s gonna be a little lighter, I find this great, true-life character that’s the most horrible woman ever created.”

Meanwhile, regardless their opinion on how the Asylum storyline turned out, many fans have been vocal in appreciating director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon’s visual stylings in episodes like ‘I am Anne Frank: Part 2,’ ‘Spilt Milk‘ and, of course, the season finale, ‘Madness Ends.’ Murphy, too, seemed to think Mr. Gomez-Rejon was an extraordinary addition to the series, and is quick to assure those reading that he’ll be back in a more prominent role, helping to dictate the overall look and feel of season 3.

One of the things that will make season 3 more “ambitious” will be the fact that shooting will take place on location, rather than a soundstage, and, according to Murphy, the production will shoot in three different locales – which will no doubt add to the speculation as to what, exactly, the new season will entail.

Sounds like Murphy has some confidence that American Horror Story will continue on past season 3. Meanwhile, the rest of us will have to wait and see what’s to come before we share in that doubtlessness.

American Horror Story season 3 will premiere this fall on FX.

• 5 months later...

First Teaser Trailer for Season 3:

A creepy rendition of ”House of the Rising Sun” and an eerie white room of women facing the walls — this 18-second creep-out can only signal one thing: The first teaser of American Horror Story: Coven has arrived.

The FX miniseries has already taken viewers through a haunted house and an asylum, and the next stop on the horror bus is New Orleans. Zooming in on a major face-off between witches of Salem and voodoo practitioners, the third season will explore both present-day characters of the show and real historical figures of New Orleans back in the 1830s. Kathy Bates has joined the show as historical serial killer Marie Delphine LaLaurie, alongside other new stars, including Emma Roberts, and Gabourey Sidibe.

Although fans are left to wonder about most season 3 secrets, executive producer Tim Minear revealed at the TCAs the social direction taken in the upcoming new season: ”I think some of the bigger themes this year is oppression of minorities of all kinds and within that idea, the idea of minority groups going after each other and doing the work for the larger culture. There’s a very strong feminist theme there, there’s also themes of race and themes of oppression and a very strong theme of family, specifically mothers and daughters.”

The third season of the FX horror drama is scheduled to premiere in October. Brave the spooky trailer, titled Detention, below:

Angela Bassett's "American Horror Story: Coven" storyline -- the Oscar-nominated actress will be playing New Orleans' 1800s Voodoo queen Marie Laveau. "It's been interesting being in New Orleans because there's such a regard and respect for who she was," Bassett said of the historical figure during the Television Critics Association Summer 2013 press tour last week. "She was a very influential person in the city ... There's some Vodouns who showed me a few things, but I don't know if I need all that right now. I don't know exactly where it's going so I'm remaining open, just picking up little things ... talking to folk from [New Orleans] and getting a take on how they see her or what they feel about her, trying to sense who she was and her power in the 1800s as this black Creole woman."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Baphomet Appears In New "American Horror Story: Coven" Art

post-1004-0-1446096003-06506_thumb.jpg
“Over 300 years have passed since the turbulent days of the Salem witch trials and those who managed to escape are now facing extinction. Mysterious attacks have been escalating against their kind and young girls are being sent away to a special school in New Orleans to learn how to protect themselves. Wrapped up in the turmoil is new arrival, Zoe (Taissa Farmiga), who is harboring a terrifying secret of her own. Alarmed by the recent aggression, Fiona (Jessica Lange), the long-absent Supreme, sweeps back into town, determined to protect the Coven and hell-bent on decimating anyone who gets in her way.”

With a cast of regulars and new recruits including Frances Conroy, Taissa Farmiga, Jessica Lange, Alexandra Breckenridge, Kathy Bates, Lily Rabe, Sarah Paulson, Jamie Brewer, Evan Peters, Gabourey Sidibe, Angela Bassett, Patti Lupone, and Denis O’Hare, here’s a list of the first three episodes that begin this October.

Episode 3.01 – “Bitchcraft” (09-Oct-2013)
Episode 3.02 – “Boy Parts” (16-Oct-2013)
Episode 3.03 – “Replacements, The” (23-Oct-2013)

post-1004-0-1446096003-12123_thumb.jpg