Bellazon

Assassin's Creed series

donbot

• 2 weeks later...

I've enjoyed all the Assassin's Creed games to varying degrees, but would probably lean towards Black Flag if I had to pick a favourite. For me, it had the best story, mostly because some of the sillier Dan Brown-esque elements took a back seat and the game told a fun tale while still managing to weave in a bit of intrigue. 

In general though, I always found the detailed historical settings more interesting than the Animus stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2020 at 10:49 PM, Enrico_sw said:

I've heard many people saying that Black Flag was the best. I only played it at a friend's for a couple of hours and it seemed great.

Yeah, as much as Black Flag wasn't everyone's cup of tea at the time, I think it says a lot that there was so much fun to be had just by picking a direction and sailing off on a random adventure, almost to the point where your main objectives would start to feel like the sideline. Even now, given that it didn't show a great deal of reverence to the rest of the saga, it surprises me that it never became its own separate series.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:49 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Oh yes, definitely. Their historical depictions are often quite accurate (they have good teams of historians). I've seen a couple of historical documentaries that used AC's footage. Particulary Florence. Ancient Egypt or Constantinople were really gorgeous too.

I'd probably consider Florence the standout too, I think, but all the settings really were expertly crafted. :yes:

I suppose you'd have to say later on, many of the fans started to pick up on the series' worst habits, with some rejecting them. Ubisoft realised that eventually but unfortunately, as with some of the more recent releases, their solution seemed to be to borrow elements from The Witcher 3 and make it more RPG-ish, when expanding on the stealth stuff would have probably been more the way to go.

• 1 month later...

I love the concept of a Vikings game- raiding churches, attacking settlements, building settlements, sailing, etc

But there's something about Valhalla that I don't like.  I think it's the ugly art direction, sub par characters/voice acting and the dodgy animations/swordfighting gameplay.  Looks dated even though the world building is very detailed.  The color palette is also has an unnatural feel to it. And the people in this game are just so..ugly?

The game looks like it has nothing to do with Assassin's Creed!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...