Bellazon

True Detective

PinkCouture

True Detective

SNf3FZG.jpg

In 2012, Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust Cohle and Martin Hart are brought in to revisit a homicide case they worked in 1995. As the inquiry unfolds in present day through separate interrogations, the two former detectives narrate the story of their investigation, reopening unhealed wounds, and drawing into question their supposed solving of a bizarre ritualistic murder in 1995. The timelines braid and converge in 2012 as each man is pulled back into a world they believed they'd left behind. In learning about each other and their killer, it becomes clear that darkness lives on both sides of the law.

Written and created by Nic Pizzolatto ('The Killing') and directed by Cary Fukunaga ('Sin Nombre,' 'Jane Eyre'), 'True Detective' stars Woody Harrelson as Martin Hart and Matthew McConaughey as Rust Cohle. The series also stars Michelle Monaghan (‘Mission: Impossible III') as Maggie, Hart's wife; Kevin Dunn ('Veep') as Major Quesada, the supervising officer in 1995; and Tory Kittles ('Sons of Anarchy') and Michael Potts ('The Wire') as Dets. Papania and Gilbough, the investigators now probing Hart and Cohle for answers.

*The series will use an anthology format, with each season featuring a different cast of characters and story.*

Cast
Matthew McConaughey - Det. Rustin "Rust" Cohle
Woody Harrelson - Det. Martin Hart
Michelle Monaghan - Maggie Hart
Michael Potts - Det. Maynard Gilbough
Tory Kittles - Det. Thomas Papania

Recurring
Kevin Dunn - Major Ken Quesada
Alexandra Daddario - Lisa Tragnetti
Elizabeth Reaser - Laurie Perkins
Brad Carter - Charlie Lange
Lili Simmons - Beth
Jay O. Sanders - Billy Lee Tuttle
Shea Whigham - Joel Theriot
Clarke Peters - minister

hbo.com & wikipedia.org

Edited by PinkCouture

^ I've only seen the first episode. I will probably watch the second one tomorrow :)

I agree, Matthew is great :hehe: He will probably get an Emmy nomination for the role. It is also worth noting Woody is great too. It is different from the some of the other roles he has played. I am glad he is showing versatility.

I like how the two main characters are from different ends of the spectrum personality-wise but they balance each other out :)

It's an entertaining show, but so far the depiction of its women is a bit problematic.

So far they have all been one of the following categories:

• Murder victim
  • Prostitute
  • Nagging wife
  • Sassy secretary
  • Sexy mistress

Not exactly a show that thrives to pass the Bechdel test.

McConaughey is great though, and he still has that fantastic voice that makes even the most mundane lines sound awesome.

I like how the two main characters are from different ends of the spectrum personality-wise but they balance each other out :)

Actually, I think they will continue to show that they are not as unlike each other as the audience is first led to believe. The second episode certainly shows that Hart doesn't exactly have his shit together either.

It's an entertaining show, but so far the depiction of its women is a bit problematic.

• Murder victim
  • Prostitute
  • Nagging wife
  • Sassy secretary
  • Sexy mistress

McConaughey is great though, and he still has that fantastic voice that makes even the most mundane lines sound awesome.

Actually, I think they will continue to show that they are not as unlike each other as the audience is first led to believe. The second episode certainly shows that Hart doesn't exactly have his shit together either.

Based on what I have read from the creator, sexism is purposely a major theme of the show.

Different ends of the spectrum meaning one is more left brain (prefers hard evidence) and the other is more right brain (intuitive). It is obvious both main characters have demons and skeletons in their closests. Even the the synopsis of the show states that :D

• Murder victim
  • Prostitute
  • Nagging wife
  • Sassy secretary
  • Sexy mistress

Based on what I have read from the creator, sexism is purposely a major theme of the show.

Well in that case they are doing a stellar job so far! :p

I really like the show. Very interesting climate. I agree that McConaughey is great, but I'm very surprised by Woody Harrelson. I never liked him, he always played clowns and in this series his very convincing as serious cop. Weak point of this series is a bit similarity to Hannibal, similarities with the Killing are acceptable because of screenwriter.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a bit of Twin Peaks in there, but Lynchs show was more obviously not supposed to take place in any close aproximation of the real world. There are some hints of magic realism in True Detective as well (e.g. the flock of birds forming the pattern just before they enter the ruined church) but it isn't drenched in that stuff like Twin Peaks was.

As a side note, the stash house sequence was a masterful bit of film-making. It featured a single cut that was nearly six minutes long. Pretty impressive stuff. I wonder how many takes it took to get it right. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7XFZmE3ZMo

^ I agree, it was very masterful. My favorite part of the episode! :yes:

Here is the preview for the next episode:

We are half way through the season--4 more episodes until the finale. The show has gotten a lot of positive reviews and reception has been great, so I am pretty sure there will be a season 2 :hehe: