Bellazon

True Detective

PinkCouture

Nic Pizzolatto is not related to the success of the first season that much imho. Characters or story wasn't so much better than now... McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, nice pictures, atmosphere and editing made last season great.

The sad thing is that the bare bones of the season could have made for a decent TV show: a dirty cop and a criminal are tied together by a lie and find themselves (separately but at the same time) confronted by institutional evil that will force them to either bend or break.

But Nic Pizz turned it into a needlessly complex and at times staggeringly boring spectacle.

On balance, I think a higher level could have been reached had it been pared down to six episodes instead of eight, to keep it moving at a better pace. The finale was a perfect example of that, the first ten minutes were pure padding and indulgent soul-searching, which brought the narrative to a complete standstill. Overall, Pizzolatto was probably hampered by his own ambitions. It reminded me at times of reading a potentially good novel, but one in desperate need of a decent editor.

Positives for me were the music, the sense of place and the acting too, for the most part. Vaughn was devoid of subtlety, but both Farrell and McAdams impressed me. Although I was disappointed that Ani was reduced to the role of a doting girlfriend when up to that point, she'd been as much a part of the action as anyone.

• 1 year later...

It would seem that some progress has been made behind the scenes towards creating a third season of TD, with McConaughey reportedly offering to reprise his role. Honestly, I don't know if seeing the further adventures of Rust would appeal to me that much, but it should be interesting to see what their preferred direction is.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Given that a few years have passed now since the last season, I have high hopes for this one. The most compelling thing about the first season for me was the toll taken on the people investigating the case, and it looks like they might be returning to that theme.