Bellazon

Blade Runner 2049

Cult Icon

This is probably my favorite Sci-fi movie of all time.  Iconic scenes..:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31657466

http://screenrant.com/blade-runner-2-plot-ridley-scott-not-directing/

Harrison Ford will reprise his role as police officer Rick Deckard in the forthcoming Blade Runner sequel, it has been confirmed.

Denis Villeneuve, who directed Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal in kidnap drama Prisoners, is in talks to direct.

The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 film, which was based on Philip K Dick novel Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

The film is scheduled to start shooting in the summer of 2016.

The cult 1982 film, directed by Sir Ridley Scott, saw Deckard hunting down genetically engineered lifelike robots, known as replicants, in a futuristic Los Angeles, set in 2019.

The latest instalment - reportedly based on an idea from Scott, who will also produce the new film - has been written by Hampton Fancher, who co-wrote the original screenplay. He will be joined fellow screenwriter Michael Green.

"We are honoured that Harrison is joining us on this journey," said producers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson in a joint statement.

"Hampton and Michael, with Sir Ridley Scott, have crafted a uniquely potent and faithful sequel to one of the most universally celebrated films of all time, and we couldn't be more thrilled with this amazing, creative team."

• 1 month later...

I'm still not sure how I feel about this. They’ve a director there in Denis Villeneuve who, if given enough freedom, could certainly produce an original and thought-provoking piece, but I can't help thinking that some things are just best left alone. Blade Runner (one of my all time favourites too) was such a phenomenal self-contained story that it doesn’t need to become a franchise. I’d much rather see Ridley Scott focus on doing something original than have a hand in placing the legacy of his most seminal work on the chopping block.

Yea, Blade Runner did not require a sequel; it never left any room for it.  Blade Runner could be remade- but the original had so many moving pieces that came together rather perfectly so it would be difficult to top it.   It would be hard to find an actor who looked the part/ understood Roy Batty the way Rutger Hauer did.

It is difficult to tell what the sequel will be about.  I guess it will borrow the concepts, visuals, and motifs of the original (and the book) but the rest will be an invention, only loosely related to the original Blade Runner.  If it is indeed heavily connected with the original BR then offhand I believe that it will come across as being awkward and compromise the meaning & openness of interpretation of the original.

I got to say though, I like "Deus Ex: Human revolution" and having more creative work done with themes about transhumanism are welcome.  Even just using the 'Blade Runner world' is welcome.

So, it looks like October 6th, 2017 will be the date to mark in our diaries. We also have an official title...

CuGK6TYXYAAWPpD.jpg

Generally speaking, we've been referring to the upcoming sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 sci-fi classic with a grab bag of shorthand titles. Stuff like The Untitled Blade Runner Sequel, or The New Blade Runner, or Director Denis Villeneuve's Upcoming Blade Runner Movie That Has Ryan Gosling In It. Today, that all ends, as the official title has been announced.

Blade Runner 2049.

There's a hashtag included in the press release, of course (#BladeRunner2049), but other than that there's little else revealed about the story itself. There is a new picture out, however, with Scott, Villeneuve, Gosling, and Harrison Ford chatting over some Blade Runner weaponry. (Check the bar in the photo up above — they're there.) Whether you like or hate the new title will most likely depend on how excited you are about knowing the exact year that the new film takes place. The original was set in 2019, so it's good that they're tacking on an extra 30 years because the Los Angeles of today really doesn't look anything like the dystopian vision Scott wowed audiences with way back when. But hey — there's still time.

Blade Runner 2049 is scheduled to arrive in theaters on October 6th, 2017.

• 2 months later...

They're not giving much away at the moment, although it looks like it's been shot in a similar style to the original (cinematography of course being one of the main hallmarks of all Ridley Scott films, no matter how iffy the content). Visually, I'm not sure they've quite matched that startlingly futuristic but lived-in realism that made the original so compelling as a spectacle, at least on the evidence we have so far.

Villeneuve has done consistently interesting work throughout his career, though. Incendies, Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario and Arrival (probably my favourite movie of 2016) are all deep, carefully constructed and very thoughtful films.

• 4 months later...

Looks like it's going to be shot beautifully, which I suppose isn’t too much of a surprise considering the talent involved. I’m cautiously optimistic, since one of the main strengths of the original was the deliberate and measured pacing, that the action stuff they're emphasising in the trailer is a little less prominent in the full movie.

16 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Looks like it's going to be shot beautifully, which I suppose isn’t too much of a surprise considering the talent involved. I’m cautiously optimistic, since one of the main strengths of the original was the deliberate and measured pacing, that the action stuff they're emphasising in the trailer is a little less prominent in the full movie.

I feel a little disappointed at the trailer because it looks like they are trying to evoke the feelings of the original but without evidence of the charm.  Maybe future trailers will be better, and reveal more.

24 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I feel a little disappointed at the trailer because it looks like they are trying to evoke the feelings of the original but without evidence of the charm.  Maybe future trailers will be better, and reveal more.

I know what you mean. The trailer has a definite 'prestige action movie' feel to it, whereas the original worked more because of its empty, quiet moments. The story is still relatively mysterious, though, and I do like that. It teases us and tells us nothing at the same time. :laugh:

4 minutes ago, Michael* said:

I know what you mean. The trailer has a definite 'prestige action movie' feel to it, whereas the original worked more because of its empty, quiet moments. The story is still relatively mysterious, though, and I do like that. It teases us and tells us nothing at the same time. :laugh:

It's missing the extensive streets and highly jam packed dystopia, along with the cast's mystique 

The streets were inspired by theories of the time eg. late stage capitalism, oriental dominance, etc.

I like this trailer: