Bellazon

Blade Runner 2049

Cult Icon

28 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I have no idea!

Even the briefest of cameos would be cool to see, despite the apparent blacklisting of Sean Young by Hollywood. The original movie really wouldn't have been the same without her.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

Even the briefest of cameos would be cool to see, despite the apparent blacklisting of Sean Young by Hollywood. The original movie really wouldn't have been the same without her.

I think Sean young is quite old/out of shape now  (but so was Leia).  

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:01 PM, Cult Icon said:

It's missing the extensive streets and highly jam packed dystopia, along with the cast's mystique 

The streets were inspired by theories of the time eg. late stage capitalism, oriental dominance, etc.

Watching the trailer again, it doesn't quite seem to have that sense of decay or the sort of grimy realism that gave the first movie such a distinctive look and made it so compelling as a spectacle. It's most jarring in the scene where Gosling first meets up with Ford, parts of the place look spotless.

I always found it a bit ambiguous in terms of how densely populated the city space really was. Some areas looked very crowded and others, like Sebastian's building, seemed almost completely abandoned.

17 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I think Sean young is quite old/out of shape now  (but so was Leia).  

Apparently, there were rumours that at least one of the original replicants might make an appearance in Rogue One-style CGI form. The character hanging out with Jared Leto actually reminds me a lot of Rachel, so that might rule her out. Then again, there are a few new characters in there who look quite a bit like the old ones. :unsure:

Incidentally, it's impossible to look at Jared Leto and not just see Jared Leto. :pinch:

On 5/10/2017 at 9:29 AM, Michael* said:

Apparently, there were rumours that at least one of the original replicants might make an appearance in Rogue One-style CGI form. The character hanging out with Jared Leto actually reminds me a lot of Rachel, so that might rule her out. Then again, there are a few new characters in there who look quite a bit like the old ones. :unsure:

Incidentally, it's impossible to look at Jared Leto and not just see Jared Leto. :pinch:

I would guess Rutger because he and Rachael were the standout performances- but Rutger still acts.

I heard that Jared Leto's Joker was pretty bad.  I never saw suicide squad though..

Yea, it's Jared leto with blueberry eyes lol

On 5/10/2017 at 9:10 AM, Michael* said:

Watching the trailer again, it doesn't quite seem to have that sense of decay or the sort of grimy realism that gave the first movie such a distinctive look and made it so compelling as a spectacle. It's most jarring in the scene where Gosling first meets up with Ford, parts of the place look spotless.

I always found it a bit ambiguous in terms of how densely populated the city space really was. Some areas looked very crowded and others, like Sebastian's building, seemed almost completely abandoned.

A big factor in the original blade runner was the vast quantity of perplexing/mysterious character designs, eg. different types of asians, people in different costumes, etc.  that colorized the atmosphere.  Also, the futurist technology (gadgets) and transportation vehicles. The 5th Element did this well, and so did other cyberpunk films/games.

9 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I would guess Rutger because he and Rachael were the standout performances- but Rutger still acts.

I heard that Jared Leto's Joker was pretty bad.  I never saw suicide squad though..

Yea, it's Jared leto with blueberry eyes lol

Mackenzie Davis' character reminds me so much of Pris, I get the impression that she and the other guy could perhaps be followers of Roy Batty. So based on that, Rutger would be my guess too. Either him or a younger version of Deckard. :unsure:

I didn't care much for Leto's take on the Joker in Suicide Squad, but some of the cast did give fun performances. Perhaps give it a try if you've got nothing to do on a Sunday evening and it comes on TV. :laugh:

10 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

A big factor in the original blade runner was the vast quantity of perplexing/mysterious character designs, eg. different types of asians, people in different costumes, etc.  that colorized the atmosphere.  Also, the futurist technology (gadgets) and transportation vehicles. The 5th Element did this well, and so did other cyberpunk films/games.

With the story taking place in an age-matched future (thirty something years later), it'll be interesting to see how much advancement there's been from the world established by the original. Unless it's set in a completely different area of course, or they take it offworld, there's only really so much they can do to change the conditions.

In general though, I always think the cyberpunk genre works well in film, games, graphic novels and whatnot, because it's so visual. It's just such rich ground for the imagination to run wild. :yes:

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:30 PM, Cult Icon said:

With Ford back in the picture, this alters the open-ended question at the end of Blade Runner:  Was Deckard a replicate?

Honestly, I could only be swayed from the opinion that Deckard is human if they were to explicitly state otherwise in this new one. And if that's the way it ends up panning out, may the sequel be stricken from the records forever. :D

On 5/12/2017 at 9:01 AM, Michael* said:

With the story taking place in an age-matched future (thirty something years later), it'll be interesting to see how much advancement there's been from the world established by the original. Unless it's set in a completely different area of course, or they take it offworld, there's only really so much they can do to change the conditions.

In general though, I always think the cyberpunk genre works well in film, games, graphic novels and whatnot, because it's so visual. It's just such rich ground for the imagination to run wild. :yes:

Have you seen the total recall reboot?  It had some good set design but the movie was mediocre

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:38 PM, Cult Icon said:

Have you seen the total recall reboot?  It had some good set design but the movie was mediocre

I'm of a similar opinion, although I only ever saw it the once. The old Verhoeven film was quite low-brow in a lot of ways, but there were also some high ideas mixed in, whereas the remake just seemed aggressively middle-of-the-road in almost every department. Shame really, because it's a good book too, and the world they created was more faithful to it than the Arnie version.

On 5/12/2017 at 8:48 AM, Michael* said:

Mackenzie Davis' character reminds me so much of Pris, I get the impression that she and the other guy could perhaps be followers of Roy Batty. So based on that, Rutger would be my guess too. Either him or a younger version of Deckard. :unsure:

I didn't care much for Leto's take on the Joker in Suicide Squad, but some of the cast did give fun performances. Perhaps give it a try if you've got nothing to do on a Sunday evening and it comes on TV. :laugh:

there is a lady Corporate executive type that reminds me of Charlize from Prometheus.  IMHO I'd have to wait for other trailers to get more interested 

I have no idea what the new movie is going to be about.  In Blade runner, deckard just quit and left with Rachael

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...