Bellazon

Rock is alive!

Stormbringer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do think about this sometimes. In the mainstream culture, rock has taken a step back and dance music reigns supreme now which I don't mind, but it does make me wonder when rock will become bigger than it is now.

BRMC - Whatever happened to my rock n' roll (punk song)

• 1 month later...

^ I knew them by name, but never took the time to listen. I like it!!  :chicken:  :chicken:

I do think about this sometimes. In the mainstream culture, rock has taken a step back and dance music reigns supreme now which I don't mind, but it does make me wonder when rock will become bigger than it is now.

BRMC - Whatever happened to my rock n' roll (punk song)

I really hope it would happen soon.

I went to a BRMC concert back in 2008. It was great, and easily the loudest concert I've ever been to. I saw them again at a festival in 2011 (though I went because of other bands that time) but since it was at open air it wasn't that loud.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Wow, awesome cover!!! I actually like it way more than the original song.

How is it that you're conflicted about Jack White? You don't like his music?

Interesting, since I consider him one of the true current geniuses in Rock music, since his work with White Stripes (and making White Stripes as good as they were with such an awful drummer takes a genius  :ninja: )

I went to a concert of his in 2012 and it ended pretty shortly (he played about 50 minutes) simply because he didn't like the sound. I know the man is an artist and a genius and all that but I never made it to a White Stripes concert and I figured this would be the closest I would get, so yeah, I love his genius, but I don't dig the man.

But then every time I say I'm done with him, he releases or produces something I really like so then I start liking him again. Conflicted indeed.

Meg rocks. Sure, she's no Keith Moon or Questlove, but she gave drumming a raw feel that my teenage ears weren't familiar with, Nick Jago ex-BRMC and Patrick Carney from the Black Keys also have that same style. For a while she was one of the few female drummers in rock that the general public was aware of especially since rock is such a male-dominated genre.

Ah I see the conflict then. That's quite unprofessional from him anyway and I didn't think he was one those. Interesting to know about it. It reminds me to Axl Rose's attitude, though not that extreme of course.

Well, in the latest White Stripes albums, like Elephant onwards her drumming is pretty decent, but specially in the first 2 records I find it horrible  :ninja: , not because of the raw sound, which I actually like a lot, but mostly because she goes out of tempo a lot.

BRMC and Black Keys drummers, while they do have that raw sound but I find them much more consistent, at least in record. But I recently saw a live video of The Black Keys and the drumming was a disaster... anyway I've never seen them at a concert, so I rather not generalize his performance based on that video alone.

But when I saw BRMC they had a really solid sound both times. Though I don't remember who was the drummer the first time. Surely you know who was it back in 2008?

Well, and I'm listening White Stripes right now, and bad drumming and all I just LOVE that bluesy sound from their first albums!

I know everybody has their bad days and touring can take a toll, so I cut him some slack. Soon after that concert, I went to see Evgeni Kissin perform Rachmaninoff and Beethoven and he had a pretty bad cold but he played for 2 hours plus an encore and did not miss a beat.

I think Nick left in 2008 and was replaced by Leah Shapiro from the Raveonettes. I like Leah but sometimes I feel she's a bit too soft.

I guess you feel about Meg just like how I feel about certain renditions of Beethoven!

That's professionalism!  :laugh: But yeah, everybody can be having a bad day, you never know.

Probably it was her that time, I don't remember. Or maybe not if you say she's a bit soft though... that concert was LOUD.

I think I get what you mean. Could you elaborate a bit though?