Bellazon

Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain

Cult Icon

On 4/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, Michael* said:

Other than unceremoniously shutting down the proposed fan remake, which was probably never likely to amount to much more than a flashy trailer and a new thing to put an anti-Konami hashtag on, I don't recall them showing much inclination to try and move the property forward for some time, so this could be interesting.

Naturally I suppose the question for most fans will be whether or not they can get it right without Kojima, since a lot of his stuff in the original was so genuinely surprising and fourth wall breaking. Even taking into account that things have moved on since 1998, it's a truly great game and a legitimate all-time classic.

My first thought is that a western team would probably distort Metal Gear Solid- way from its Kojimatastic Japanese origins to something more in lines with western tropes.  The Kojima charm would be lost.  Worse, they could be try-hard and fail.  They might even make it woke for goodness sake.  

However, I've always wanted to see Metal Gear remake in a Western fashion, but in the most positive sense (good writing storytelling, paring down Kojima's excesses while maintaining faithfulness to the original).

I need to update myself on the more recent Metal Gear news.

At the very least I think we'll get a serviceable action game, albeit my hope would be that it captures at least some of Kojima's innovation and crazed melodrama. MGS1 was probably the most restrained entry into the series, but it'll have to be handled with care all the same.

Overall though, it sounds like this could be a pretty massive project. Presumably any potential remake would demand a full, Resident Evil-style rebuild with a third person camera instead of a top-down one, which would require an overhaul of the levels, the boss fights and the enemy AI to match modern standards. On the plus side, they do have a fantastic platform to build on with the Fox Engine, it's crazy to think such a technical marvel has basically just been left gathering dust for five years by Konami.

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to mention it before, but the "Tom Olsen" Twitter feed (playing out the events of MGS2 from the point of view of a worker at Big Shell) that appeared last month was fun while it lasted.

Some considerable excitement was seemingly generated a little while later when Konami's official MGS account engaged with it, although I believe it was confirmed afterwards that it was just a fan-made tribute.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, Michael* said:

At the very least I think we'll get a serviceable action game, albeit my hope would be that it captures at least some of Kojima's innovation and crazed melodrama. MGS1 was probably the most restrained entry into the series, but it'll have to be handled with care all the same.

Overall though, it sounds like this could be a pretty massive project. Presumably any potential remake would demand a full, Resident Evil-style rebuild with a third person camera instead of a top-down one, which would require an overhaul of the levels, the boss fights and the enemy AI to match modern standards. On the plus side, they do have a fantastic platform to build on with the Fox Engine, it's crazy to think such a technical marvel has basically just been left gathering dust for five years by Konami.

This is the company that is rumored (many rumors now) that is developing the Metal Gear Solid remake.  

They did a remake of Demon Soul's and it was very good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluepoint_Games

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

kojima says that he was inspired by moby dick for MGSV (in the game there are references to the novel) but it seems to be a very loose association.  I am half done with the philosophy of this book and have concluded that this was probably some BS he just said.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5LDSZDr2E

• 1 year later...