Bellazon

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Michael*

ragnarok-640x320.jpg

Thor: Ragnarok
Release Date: October 27, 2017
Director: Taika Waititi

Synopsis

Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok - the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization - at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela. But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger - the Incredible Hulk.

Cast
Chris Hemsworth - Thor

Tom Hiddleston - Loki

Idris Elba - Heimdall

Cate Blanchett - Hela

Tessa Thompson - Valkyrie

Mark Ruffalo - Bruce Banner / Hulk

Karl Urban - Skurge

Anthony Hopkins - Odin

Jeff Goldblum - Grandmaster

I don't know much about the plot at the moment, but news broke earlier in the week of some seriously impressive additions to the cast, hence the starting of the topic.

Sif and the Warriors Three were noticeably absent from the announcement, but Jaimie Alexander has hinted since that she and her gang will all be making appearances. According to Kevin Feige, Natalie Portman is officially out of the picture as Jane.

• 2 months later...

I sense the hairstyle change for Hemsworth is going to be controversial. :laugh:

Hela's outfit is pretty accurate, although I think her face in the books is half disfigured, not just scarred. Then again, she's also meant to be Loki's daughter, so perhaps look for them to switch it up a bit on both fronts.

Valkyrie's gear is terribly bland. Her outfits were never great in the comics, but adding her trademark metal armour would have been an improvement. Saying that, for all we know at the moment, she may not even be Brunnhilde but some other Valkyrie altogether. :idk:

I'm starting to suffer from Marvel fatigue. Still haven't watched Dr Strange and probably won't see this one in theaters too.

Feels like the structure of every movie is the same with weak villains who never really cause real damage to our heroes.

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:50 PM, Schemer said:

I'm starting to suffer from Marvel fatigue. Still haven't watched Dr Strange and probably won't see this one in theaters too.

Feels like the structure of every movie is the same with weak villains who never really cause real damage to our heroes.

I think the Russos have demonstrated the best understanding of villains in the MCU so far. In Civil War, they had Zemo's actions carry some real importance, and the wedge he drove between the two leads with just a few feints of devious planning is going to have a truly lasting effect on the story arc. That's the kind of thing I'm hoping to see more of going forward.

In the case of this particular movie, I'll happily go on any ride that Taika Waititi wants to take me on. :hehe:

16 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I like the Valkyrie costume from the comics- traditional but sexy

The costume just looks very generic to me, there's not much that makes me think of Marvel's Valkyrie or even Valkyries in general. Some metallic highlights would have helped things.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I wouldn't be surprised, what with them having an actress of Cate Blanchett's calibre in the role, if Hela was subbed in for Mistress Death in Infinity War. Some of the recent comics have seen Marvel do just that.

I wish I knew nothing about this movie beforehand. The trailers for big budget movies always ruin something you would prefer to be surprised by. I wish it was realistic to see big budget movies knowing nothing the way you can with smaller movies.

When I saw Manchester by the Sea, all I knew before was that it was sad. Knowing that little about movies makes viewing more enjoyable for me, if only it could happen more.

9 hours ago, jkjk said:

I wish I knew nothing about this movie beforehand. The trailers for big budget movies always ruin something you would prefer to be surprised by. I wish it was realistic to see big budget movies knowing nothing the way you can with smaller movies.

When I saw Manchester by the Sea, all I knew before was that it was sad. Knowing that little about movies makes viewing more enjoyable for me, if only it could happen more.

Yeah, I often find that too. In the run-up to movies like this one, there's almost always a small part of me that wishes I hadn't already seen some of what was in it.

Thinking about it now, the original Guardians of the Galaxy probably did quite well out of that, since the property didn't have a great deal of name recognition beforehand. People knew it was a Marvel product of course, but not too many were familiar with the characters and consequently, were able to go in completely blind and just enjoy the surprises.

• 1 month later...

Also, the international trailer boasting some different footage of Hela, Loki, Valkyrie and probably the most fearsome version of Thor we’ve seen up to now. There's a glimpse of another familiar face right at the beginning too, so don't click if you don't want to know. :no: