Bellazon

2016 SI Swimsuit Model Competition - Ongoing

The following match results are in!

2016 Friendly Matches:

Bar Refaeli (59.5%) defeated Marisa Miller (40.5%)
Tori Praver (56.6%) defeated Lauren Mellor (43.4%)
Samantha Hoopes (72.8%) defeated Sarah O’Hare (27.2%)
Stacey Williams (52.3%) defeated Elsa Benitez (47.7%)
Zoe Duchesne (70.7%) defeated Shakara Ledard (29.3%)
Alyssa Miller (54.7%) defeated Irina Shayk (45.3%)
Niki Taylor (52.7%) defeated Dominique Piek (47.3%)
Kristy Hinze (66.8%) defeated Kim Alexis (33.2%)

My spin:
For the third time in the history of this competition, Bar Refaeli has gotten the best of Marisa Miller. This time, Bar got nearly 60% of the vote and improved to an amazing 24-1 career record. Marisa’s loss drops her to 21-4. Yes, folks, 3 of Marisa’s 4 career losses have been to Bar! Now, that’s a nemesis!

Two of my favorites, Tori Praver and Niki Taylor, scored impressive victories. Unfortunately, it wasn’t all good news for my favorites, as one of those wins came at the expense of my beloved Dominique Piek.

The other match of note was Alyssa Miller punishing Irina Shayk. Irina peaked at a #5 overall ranking after the 2015 tournament, but two losses in the friendly cycle have her in a rankings freefall. At this point, she is in danger of dropping out of the top 16, which will be a key in the 2016 tournament. 

Speaking of the tournament, I’ll post more on the format of that in coming days. But, for now, I’ll just say that there are a few very key break points in the rankings, and these friendly matches are determining the models’ rankings. For example, those in the top 16 will enjoy certain seeding advantages that those ranked lower will not. So, Irina’s most recent loss may prove very costly. 

SI Swimsuit Model Rankings: here (rankings to be updated after this friendly cycle)

2016 Friendly Matches:

Bo Krsmanovic (57.2%) defeated Tyra Banks (42.8%)
Melissa Baker (52.9%) defeated May Andersen (47.1%)
Kathy Ireland (55.7%) defeated Petra Nemcova (44.3%)
Yasmin Brunet (62.7%) defeated Rachel Roberts (37.3%)

My spin:

A few close matches in this batch! Rookie Bo Krsmanovic took care of supermodel Tyra Banks and will likely climb up the rankings a bit. Petra Nemcova dropped her third match in a row as she lost to Kathy Ireland. Petra is now in danger of dropping out of the top 16. 

Finally, Melissa Baker, another of my personal favorites, won a very close match over May Andersen. Melissa is fighting for a spot in the main draw of the 2106 tournament. Again, more on the structure soon, but there’s a huge difference between #48 and #49! #48 is guaranteed a spot in the main draw, while #49 has to fight through at least a couple of qualifying matches just to get to the main draw.

SI Swimsuit Model Rankings: here (rankings to be updated after this friendly cycle)

New matches are now open for voting! Included in today’s matches is another “elimination match” that will decide who participates in the 2016 tournament. The winner participates, and the loser gets shut out. 

Use the link for each match to cast your vote. Voting for these matches ends at 10:00pm US Eastern Time on September 13. Check back after that time for results.

Please vote only once. Duplicate votes will not be counted, even if it appears they have.

Thanks so much for participating!

Friendly, Match 111: 
Brooklyn Decker vs. Rebecca Romijn
Vote: http://poll.fm/5o18r

x_SSx_SISF2016_0111_Brooklyn-_Decker_vs_Rebecca-_Ro.jpg

Friendly, Match 112: 
Ingrid Seynhaeve vs. Veronica Blume
Vote: http://poll.fm/5o18t

x_SSx_SISF2016_0112_Ingrid-_Seynhaeve_vs_Veronica-.jpg

Friendly, Match 113: 
Kate Upton vs. Daniela Pestova
Vote: http://poll.fm/5o18u

x_SSx_SISF2016_0113_Kate-_Upton_vs_Daniela-_Pestova.jpg

Friendly, Match 114: 
Solveig Mork vs. Gigi Hadid

Vote: http://poll.fm/5o18v

x_SSx_SISF2016_0114_Solveig-_Mork_vs_Gigi-_Hadid.jpg

Elimination Match 5: 
Georgianna Robertson vs. Tanga Moreau
Vote: http://poll.fm/5o18w

x_SSx_SISMT2016_0005_Georgianna-_Robertson_vs_Tang.jpg

2016 Friendly Matches:

Cintia Dicker (63.3%) defeated Cindy Crawford (36.7%)
Emily DiDonato (55.7%) defeated Stephanie Seymour (44.3%)
Laetitia Casta (54.7%) defeated Isabeli Fontana (45.3%)
Elle Macpherson (62.0%) defeated Paulina Porizkova (38.0%)

2016 Elimination Matches:

Roshumba Williams (71.5%) defeated Kathy Loghry (28.5%)
Kay Hughes (56.4%) defeated Gail O’Neill (43.6%)

My spin:
Four great friendly matches and a couple of surprises! Cintia Dicker not only upset the higher-ranked Cindy Crawford, she had an easy time of it. That’s an impressive win for Cintia and will certainly vault her up the rankings.

Speaking of impressive wins, Emily DiDonato also pulled off a mild upset over Stephanie Seymour. Stephanie has had some huge wins over SI titans, but she was knocked off here.

Laetitia Casta and her bountiful assets defeated Brazilian beauty Isabeli Fontana, and “The Body” Elle Macpherson rebounded from her loss to Genevieve Morton and had a convincing win over fellow top model Paulina Porizkova.

In the elimination matches, Kathy Loghry cemented her status as the lowest ranked model as she got smoked by Roshumba Williams, who isn’t exactly a titan herself, ranked at #235. The second-lowest ranked model, Kay Hughes, pulled off a surprising result in defeating Gail O’Neill. So, Kay gets herself a spot in the upcoming 2016 tournament.

These are the final batch of friendly and elimination matches before the 2016 SI Swimsuit Model Tournament! The model rankings will be updated after these matches conclude, and the rankings will determine the bracket placement of each model. 

Use the link for each match to cast your vote. Voting for these matches ends at 10:00pm US Eastern Time on September 16. Check back after that time for results.

Please vote only once. Duplicate votes will not be counted, even if it appears they have.

Thanks so much for participating!

Friendly, Match 115: 
Sara Sampaio vs. Esti Ginzburg
Vote: http://poll.fm/5o3rt

x_SSx_SISF2016_0115_Sara-_Sampaio_vs_Esti-_Ginzburg.jpg

Friendly, Match 116: 
Julie Henderson vs. Hilary Rhoda
Vote: http://poll.fm/5o3rv

x_SSx_SISF2016_0116_Julie-_Henderson_vs_Hilary-_Rho.jpg

Friendly, Match 117: 
Ashley Smith vs. Michelle Vawer
Vote: http://poll.fm/5o3rx

x_SSx_SISF2016_0117_Ashley-_Smith_vs_Michelle-_Vawe.jpg

Friendly, Match 118: 
Estelle Lefebure vs. Chrissy Teigen

Vote: http://poll.fm/5o3rz

x_SSx_SISF2016_0118_Estelle-_Lefebure_vs_Chrissy-_T.jpg

Elimination Match 6: 
Hina Tama vs. Paulette Kieon
Vote: http://poll.fm/5o3s0

x_SSx_SISMT2016_0006_Hina-_Tama_vs_Paulette-_Kieon.jpg

2016 Friendly Matches:

Yamila Diaz-Rahi (64.4%) defeated Melissa Haro (35.6%)
Daniella Sarahyba (58.4%) defeated Erin Heatherton (41.6%)
Veronica Varekova (57.2%) defeated Carolyn Murphy (42.8%)
Tanya Mityushina (63.7%) defeated Lujan Fernandez (36.3%)
Kate Bock (68.3%) defeated Aurelie Claudel (31.7%)
Nina Agdal (59.4%) defeated Heidi Klum (40.6%)
Sofia Resing (64.8%) defeated Jenna de Rosnay (35.2%)
Barbara Palvin (75.1%) defeated Chanel Iman (24.9%)
Brooklyn Decker (63.3%) defeated Rebecca Romijn (36.7%)
Ingrid Seynhaeve (61.6%) defeated Veronica Blume (38.4%)
Kate Upton (76.6%) defeated Daniela Pestova (23.4%)
Gigi Hadid (53.0%) defeated Solveig Mork (47.0%)

2016 Elimination Matches:

Navia Nguyen (60.1%) defeated Akure Wall (40.1%)
Anna Getaneh (53.4%) defeated Carla Maria (46.6%)
Tanga Moreau (61.7%) defeated Georgianna Robertson (38.3%)

My spin:
Lots of results, since I was playing catch up, so I’ll hit the marquee matchups only.

First, my favorite match of all time: Nina Agdal vs. Heidi Klum. Nina showed why she’s ranked #1 and didn’t have too much of a scare against Heidi, but Heidi kept it close and actually outperformed expectations based on their rating scores. So, even though Heidi lost this one, it’ll help her rating and maybe help her up the rankings.

Brooklyn Decker and Rebecca Romijn came in ranked #3 and #5, respectively, but Brooklyn showed what a difference there is between them with an easy win. After a nice recent run of results, it looks like Rebecca hit her peak at #5.

Kate Upton had an extremely impressive win over Daniela Pestova, racking up over 3/4 of the vote. That’ll almost assuredly propel Kate the Great into the top ten.

Finally, a check in on the rookies. Barbara Palvin and Sofia Resing continued to impress, as each had easy victories. Barbara’s was especially easy, and surprisingly so, over Chanel Iman. I guess I’m one of the only ones who likes Chanel so much. :smile:

SI Swimsuit Model Rankings: here (rankings to be updated Sept 17)

The second cycle of friendly matches are completed, and it’s time for updated rankings. These rankings are critical to the 2016 tournament.

In order to shorten the tournament and also make these rankings more important, I’ve decided to change my originally intended tournament format.  Instead of all models being eligible, I’m cutting off tournament entry at those models with a rating above 1000. A model starts their career at a 1000 rating, so those over 1000 can be considered above average. Indeed, there are 122 such models as of these latest updated rankings, and those 122 will be the only ones in the 2016 SI Swimsuit Model Tournament.

More on the upcoming tournament soon, but for now let’s focus on the rankings! 

The full PDF file can be found here. Read on for some of the highlights.

Top Ten: 
1 Nina Agdal
2 Bar Refaeli
3 Brooklyn Decker
4 Marisa Miller    
5 Genevieve Morton
6 Hannah Davis
7 Hannah Ferguson
8 Kate Upton
9 Elle Macpherson
10 Rebecca Romijn

Dropped out of Top Ten (previous ranking in parenthesis): Josie Maran (9)
Entered the Top Ten (previous ranking in parenthesis): Kate Upton (11)

No changes in the top 4 models, as Nina Agdal continues her run at #1, with Bar, Brooklyn, and Marisa behind her. Genevieve Morton and the two Hannahs (Davis and Ferguson) each moved up a spot and took advantage of Rebecca Romijn’s loss to Brooklyn Decker.

Other moves of note include Emily Ratajkowski, who jumped another 10 spots and now sits at #15. Right behind her is Sara Sampaio, who rebounded from a loss and jumps into the #16 slot. That’s important, since the top 16 models are seeded in the tournament and are afforded certain advantages.

Largest Declines:
Yasmeen Ghauri - 40 (76 to 116)
Estelle Lefebure - 31 (79 to 110)
Lujan Fernandez - 24 (75 to 99)
Jenna de Rosnay - 21 (53 to 74)
Shana Zadrick - 21 (68 to 89)

Largest Advances:
Michelle Lombardo - 27 (73 to 46)
Chrissy Teigen - 23 (92 to 69)
Sofia Resing - 23 (98 to 75)
Barbara Palvin - 19 (91 to 72)
Zoe Duchesne - 18 (95 to 77)

Moved above 1000, gaining tournament eligibility:
Bo Krsmanovic

Moved below 1000, losing tournament eligibility:
Chanel Iman
Tyra Banks

Other notable moves:
Rose Bertram - up 10, from #33 to #23
Daniela Pestova - down 12, from #17 to #29
Kate Bock - up 13, from #50 to #37
Jessica Perez - up 17, from #55 to #38
Jessica Gomes - down 14, from #39 to #53

7 hours ago, Bloodshot said:

Out of curiosity, what's the criteria used to determine ranking?  Vote percentage?  Total number of votes for a given model?  Something else?

Hi, there. Thanks for the question. I never really explained it here on the message board, but it's explained a little bit on the page linked. Here's the text:

Each model's rating score is generated by a modification of the Elo Ratings formula. Each model begins with a rating of 1000. From there, the model's rating is adjusted after every match, and the variance up or down depends on the model's vote percentage in that match factoring in the strength of the opposing model.

Every match is a zero-sum game. That is, one model's gain will result in the other model's loss of the same amount of rating points. This is similar to formulas used for competitive Chess and Scrabble rankings.

So, it's determined by the vote percentage factoring in the opponent's strength based on their rating. Essentially, any given matchup gives a predicted vote % for each model based on whatever their rating is. (Rating value, not ranking.) If two models each have a rating of 1100, for instance, then the predicted vote % for that match is 50/50.  Whoever wins will have their score increase, and whoever loses will have their score decrease by that same amount. The amount of the increase/decrease depends on the actual vote percentage.

This is cool because a model can increase her rating even in a loss. As long as she performs better than the statistical expectation derived from the two models' ratings, then she'll increase her rating. For example, Heidi Klum lost to Nina Agdal in the last match, but Heidi actually gained a little bit of points because her performance beat expectations.

The rankings themselves are simply ranking each model's rating highest to lowest relative to all of the other models.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/11/2017 at 1:42 PM, Bloodshot said:

Sure seems like it's dead...

Yes, that's correct.  Dead.  My apologies for leaving so suddenly, but the fact is that life circumstances took a turn and left absolutely no more time or means for this competition, forum, or my blog!  The good news: I'm okay.  Running an intensive competition like this just isn't practical for me anymore, which is unfortunate because I really loved doing it.  It was a lot of fun, and I hope you all enjoyed it.  Maybe someday it'll be revived... I have all files and copyrights to the format. lol  :smile: 

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and happy new year to all!