Bellazon

Wonder Woman (2017)

PinkCouture

It looks likely that Wonder Woman will be the third biggest grossing picture of the year (on the U.S. domestic market) once the Tuesday and Wednesday's box office takes are added to the total.

It will then move ahead of "Logan", which is probably something not a lot of experts would have dared predict.

Though it does look unlikely it will overtake "Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2" at the n°2 spot.

6 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

It looks likely that Wonder Woman will be the third biggest grossing picture of the year (on the U.S. domestic market) once the Tuesday and Wednesday's box office takes are added to the total.

It will then move ahead of "Logan", which is probably something not a lot of experts would have dared predict.

Though it does look unlikely it will overtake "Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2" at the n°2 spot.

You made me curious about the Logan comparisons, so I looked up a forecast from April. Wonder Woman was predicted to make around 225, which is where Logan is now. The predictions went up some as opening weekend approached. It's not overly surprising though, because DC movies tend to make more than movies in the X-Men series (Deadpool being the exception).

I think you would have had a much harder time finding someone who thought Wonder Woman would get similarly good critic reviews as Logan. Because before, the DC movies have not done well with critics.

The interesting thing for me will be to see how it holds up through the rest of the year. I wonder how many movies have a chance to pass Wonder Woman.

30 minutes ago, jkjk said:

You made me curious about the Logan comparisons, so I looked up a forecast from April. Wonder Woman was predicted to make around 225, which is where Logan is now. The predictions went up some as opening weekend approached. It's not overly surprising though, because DC movies tend to make more than movies in the X-Men series (Deadpool being the exception).

I think you would have had a much harder time finding someone who thought Wonder Woman would get similarly good critic reviews as Logan. Because before, the DC movies have not done well with critics.

The interesting thing for me will be to see how it holds up through the rest of the year. I wonder how many movies have a chance to pass Wonder Woman.

"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" is a 2017 release, so obviously that one will.

That's one that will for certain. Wonder Woman should finish top ten though.

The best proof that Warner's Brothers executives did not think the movie was likely to make as much is that they gave it a lower budget than the other movies. It's still early, but WW could finish ahead of Man of Steel at the box office with a budget about 75 mil lower.

16 hours ago, jkjk said:

That's one that will for certain. Wonder Woman should finish top ten though.

The best proof that Warner's Brothers executives did not think the movie was likely to make as much is that they gave it a lower budget than the other movies. It's still early, but WW could finish ahead of Man of Steel at the box office with a budget about 75 mil lower.

I hope that if this does lead to more female super hero movies (which would be great) they take care to consider the lessons of what Patty Jenkins did with this one.

She is praised for avoiding the male gaze almost entirely, which is something that isn't likely to happen if it's a dude at the helm of the film.

Other movies that have a chance to overtake Wonder Woman, besides the Star Wars behemoth "The Last Jedi":

Spider-man: Homecoming (Very good chance)

Dunkirk (though I don't believe that it will)

It (an outside chance)

Blade Runner 2049 (could really go either way)

Justice League (impossible to predict)

Thor: Ragnarok (I could see it challenge "Wonder Woman" if the reviews are at all good)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (impossible to predict)

Even if half of the above exceed the result that "Wonder Woman" got at the box office, it would still end up in the top ten for 2017 (at the domestic box office).

Even if half of the above exceed the result that "Wonder Woman" got at the box office, it would still end up in the top ten for 2017 (at the domestic box office).

Normally, I would say that a Thor movie would not make that much, but with The Hulk (among others) in the movie, it's harder to say.

Also, there is always an unexpected kids movie that makes more than was predicted.

I hope that if this does lead to more female super hero movies (which would be great) they take care to consider the lessons of what Patty Jenkins did with this one.

She is praised for avoiding the male gaze almost entirely, which is something that isn't likely to happen if it's a dude at the helm of the film.

Agreed. There are only two (1.5) planned that I know of, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp. I expect the later to marketed as both characters being lead. Captain Marvel will be directed by a woman, Anna Boden, with her frequent collaborator Ryan Fleck.

I would be shocked if there is not a Wonder Woman 2. And I imagine Patty Jenkins would direct again.

21 hours ago, jkjk said:

There are only two (1.5) planned that I know of, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp. I expect the later to marketed as both characters being lead. Captain Marvel will be directed by a woman, Anna Boden, with her frequent collaborator Ryan Fleck.

The only other thing I've heard about is Gotham City Sirens, which is seemingly being treated by David Ayer as something of a Suicide Squad do-over. Although, between that and the Harley-Ivy dynamic presumably being one of the most important plot points, I don't know if I trust them not to simply make 'Trash Level Fan Service: The Movie'. :no:

Still, I could probably think of at least ten other comic book properties with female leads out there that would be perfect for the cinematic treatment. If Hollywood now grasps that they can tear up the box office, I would expect more studios to become more open to the idea of making them.

On 6/15/2017 at 9:02 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Other movies that have a chance to overtake Wonder Woman, besides the Star Wars behemoth "The Last Jedi":

Spider-man: Homecoming (Very good chance)

Dunkirk (though I don't believe that it will)

It (an outside chance)

Blade Runner 2049 (could really go either way)

Justice League (impossible to predict)

Thor: Ragnarok (I could see it challenge "Wonder Woman" if the reviews are at all good)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (impossible to predict)

It does seem possible that the success of Wonder Woman and the renewed momentum of the character could help change DC's trajectory somewhat, and perhaps set the tone for a bigger box office performance by Justice League.

Critics haven't been buying what Zack Snyder sells for a long time and I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon, but Diana's presence could now bring in people that Batman v Superman didn't. Which would probably have been unthinkable even just a couple of months ago.

Well to be fair, I already thought that Wonder Woman was one of the few good things about "Batman vs. Superman". So in that respect, the fact that she would be one of the draws for "Justice League" isn't a huge surprise, even without "Wonder Woman" the standalone film's success.

So now it's official: "Wonder Woman" is the third highest grossing film of 2017 on the U.S. domestic market.

The movie is unlikely to overtake "Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2" in second place in the U.S. domestic box office take ranking for 2017, unless it turns out to be a rare slow burner that keeps on raking in the money many weeks past its debut.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:38 PM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Well to be fair, I already thought that Wonder Woman was one of the few good things about "Batman vs. Superman". So in that respect, the fact that she would be one of the draws for "Justice League" isn't a huge surprise, even without "Wonder Woman" the standalone film's success.

If I'm honest, I found Wonder Woman's introduction in Batman v Superman to be a bit of a non-event at the time, although Diana not being bogged down by the same ridiculous levels of 'grimdark' seriousness as everyone else did come as a pleasant surprise. Lord knows, if ever a film were in need of some levity, it's Justice League. :laugh:

Word of mouth is going to be even better after Wonder Woman though, so I could perhaps imagine more of the non-superhero moviegoing crowd being open to giving Justice League a chance.

Interestingly, it looks like "Wonder Woman" will have very strong third weekend numbers.

Stronger than "Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2". Which means that whilst Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot might still not overtake James Gunn's movie at the domestic U.S. box office, they could get much closer than most people would have given them credit for.

On 6/15/2017 at 3:41 PM, jkjk said:

I would be shocked if there is not a Wonder Woman 2. And I imagine Patty Jenkins would direct again.

For some reason, a sequel is something I've yet to see much talk of up to now. It's quite a contrast to something like Guardians of the Galaxy, where despite its success being mostly unexpected, a second movie was announced before it had even opened. Warners must not have had as much of an inkling that this would play well with fans. :unsure:

22 minutes ago, Michael* said:

For some reason, a sequel is something I've yet to see much talk of up to now. It's quite a contrast to something like Guardians of the Galaxy, where despite its success being mostly unexpected, a second movie was announced before it had even opened. Warners must not have had as much of an inkling that this would play well with fans. :unsure:

I had not thought about it but Marvel does seem to be ready for that when the movie comes out. If they think a sequel is likely, it is usually announced around the time of the first one. Sometimes there is a reference in the credits too with something like "The Guardians (or whatever) will be back"

On 6/15/2017 at 1:56 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Just look at Wheadon's leaked WW script to see how true that statement is. :ninja: I've never been impressed by Joss' handling of female characters (Romanoff has a different characterization in nearly every Marvel film imo) so I can see his Batgirl movie being a mess. Though maybe the backlash from the leaked script and the change in attitude towards female led movies in the last ten years will guide his vision for the film. 

As for the WW sequel, Jenkins is working on the script right now, and it's been confirmed by higher ups in the DCEU. 

The movie will end up as the highest grossing of the four in the DC Extended Universe (in the US).

It's still too early to be sure where it will finish worldwide. Based on nothing but a guess, I have a feeling it won't end up making as much as Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice worldwide.

I finally got around seeing it.

A fine film, perhaps overrated a bit critically, but certainly better than anything the DCEU has churned out so far.

The biggest disappointment was the climax. That fight against Ares was something that was worthy of a Zach Snyder movie, not a comparison I had hoped to make for this film.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/25/box-office-wonder-woman-is-the-energizer-bunny-of-superhero-movies/#3531fc0f28ee

Interesting Forbes piece about "Wonder Woman" doing so well financially.

It is hard to predict what might have happened if this movie hadn't been stuck in development hell for so long and another version of this origin story had been released five or ten or even fifteen years ago, but it does feel like D.C. and W.B. were just sitting on a huge moneymaker for all that time without even knowing it.

Knowing Hollywood, this will now likely lead to a copy-cat effect where every remotely bankable female superhero character gets its own movie. That is great news for actresses and female representation. I just hope that they realize that "Wonder Woman" succeeded not merely because it was a female-led superhero movie. I would hate to see this trend be destroyed by a flurry of subpar movies which fail and are then blamed on their leads being female.

36 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Knowing Hollywood, this will now likely lead to a copy-cat effect where every remotely bankable female superhero character gets its own movie. That is great news for actresses and female representation. I just hope that they realize that "Wonder Woman" succeeded not merely because it was a female-led superhero movie. I would hate to see this trend be destroyed by a flurry of subpar movies which fail and are then blamed on their leads being female.

That would be nice, but based on past history I think we know what is likely to happen. They won't realize why WW succeeded. They will force out low quality movies. Those movies' low ratings and poor performance will be blamed on the fact that they will be female-led movies. I don't like to be negative, but I have seen this before, so I expect it again. The bad Batman, Hulk, etc. movies were never blamed on the fact they were male-led, but it seems impossible to transfer that logic to female-led movies.