Bellazon

Fallout (series)

Enrico_sw

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, hayama said:

My favorite one is Fallout 2

Yeah, Fallout 2 is a great game; brilliant storyline, good characters and a really deep universe. The graphics were really good for the time.

I don't know which one is my favorite. I liked Mark Morgan's OST (FO 1 and 2), he was really really good, but... Inon Zur (FO3 and 4) is awesome. I really like the leitmotiv he created for the Fallout series.

Spoiler

Regarding the storylines, I like all of them.

Now, the weapons system was better in FO 1 & 2 (I don't know why the hell FO4's weapons are so crappy; I mean it's good that they had the crafting system, but the base weapons are not well designed).

The graphics of FO1 & 2 are good and same for FO4.

I don't like FO3's graphics; it's like they had great intentions, but not the technology to do it (or our computers were too slow at the time).

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

^ Hmm, a couple of years ago, I would've been hyped by this news, but somehow I'm very circumspect.

First, because Bethesda doesn't really understand Fallout. I mean, they're not all bad (except when they try to rip off their customers with a half finished game full of microtransactions - e.g. FO76 :banghead:), but they don't know how to make a scenario like Interplay. The best proof is that the best recent Fallout game is New Vegas, which was made by former employees of Interplay!

Also, nowadays, when there is a TV adaptation, it's often (not always) full of garbage politicization (I hope I'm wrong, I really do).

On 7/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, Enrico_sw said:

^ Hmm, a couple of years ago, I would've been hyped by this news, but somehow I'm very circumspect.

First, because Bethesda doesn't really understand Fallout. I mean, they're not all bad (except when they try to rip off their customers with a half finished game full of microtransactions - e.g. FO76 :banghead:), but they don't know how to make a scenario like Interplay. The best proof is that the best recent Fallout game is New Vegas, which was made by former employees of Interplay!

Also, nowadays, when there is a TV adaptation, it's often (not always) full of garbage politicization (I hope I'm wrong, I really do).

I remember that Fallout 3 had some good writing and mini stories but the quality of Fallout 4's stories were inferior.  But few of Fallout 3's stories were "great" so to speak, they were at best pretty good.  I doubt that most of the same people who made 3 now made 76- it's been too long.

I heard that 76 was a failure, didn't investigate it myself.

Best bet is if they keep the stories strongly tied to the 1950s and more like those in Fallout 3.  "keep it simple, stupid".  However I think it is possible that political commentary will infiltrate it,  like Watchmen and others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 10:40 PM, Cult Icon said:

I remember that Fallout 3 had some good writing and mini stories but the quality of Fallout 4's stories were inferior.  But few of Fallout 3's stories were "great" so to speak, they were at best pretty good.

Fallout 3 was developped by Bethesda; it's a pretty good game, with its flaws, but all in all it was a fresh new start for the franchise (that was created by Interplay - Bethesda bought it after Interplay collapsed).

The best games were Fallout 1, Fallout 2 (both developped by Interplay) and New Vegas (made by former Interplay employees). Interplay made complex stories and they created one of the most original and enjoyable universe. You should watch Fallout 1 and 2 videos. I'm sure you'll like them.

I heard that 76 was a failure, didn't investigate it myself.

76 is a rip-off made by talentless hacks who wanted to milk the franchise while taking customers for fools. Fortunately, the Fallout community is smart and organized, so F76 was a huge failure (the difference with similar titles - like Fortshite - is that Fallout is more of an "adult" game and it's harder to manipulate adults than kids).

This guy summarizes the issues with 76:

Spoiler

Best bet is if they keep the stories strongly tied to the 1950s and more like those in Fallout 3.  "keep it simple, stupid".  However I think it is possible that political commentary will infiltrate it,  like Watchmen and others.

I'm sure there is a wide audience for complex stories. Companies underestimate the intelligence of their customers. Fallout 1 was a commercial success and its narration is widely more complex that F3 or F4.

On 7/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Fallout 3 was developped by Bethesda; it's a pretty good game, with its flaws, but all in all it was a fresh new start for the franchise (that was created by Interplay - Bethesda bought it after Interplay collapsed).

The best games were Fallout 1, Fallout 2 (both developped by Interplay) and New Vegas (made by former Interplay employees). Interplay made complex stories and they created one of the most original and enjoyable  universe. You should watch Fallout 1 and 2 videos. I'm sure you'll like them.

I watched most of the NV footage a few years ago.  A lot of people like NV more than FO3, I remember liking FO3's more realistic and less creative style more.  NV was definitely more visionary though.  I suspect a TV show would follow storylines that are cheaper to produce.  

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...