Bellazon

Indiana Jones 5 (2022)

Michael*

15 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The problem is that Ford talks like a really old man....!  Then it will have to be matched with a young CGI face who talks like an old man..  I guess they'll have to mess around with the audio to make him young too.

I know Disney and Lucasfilm have been pretty big proponents of de-ageing technology in recent years, but factoring the vast difference in quality between Captain Marvel's Nick Fury and The Mandalorian's Luke Skywalker, it feels like this could go either way. I suppose we won't find out until next summer if any of it is a good idea or not.

Mainly, what I find encouraging is that James Mangold is directing and that Lucas isn't there to run the story into the ground, like he did on Crystal Skulls. Spielberg also did a dreadful job, although to be fair, his heart probably wasn't in it.

11 hours ago, Michael* said:

Mainly, what I find encouraging is that James Mangold is directing and that Lucas isn't there to run the story into the ground, like he did on Crystal Skulls. Spielberg also did a dreadful job, although to be fair, his heart probably wasn't in it.

Spielberg's movies are either awesome or uninteresting to me.  Crystal Skulls had too much CGI especially in the action sequences.  What made the originals were the realistic, practical effects.  Maybe he got lazy..

9 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Spielberg's movies are either awesome or uninteresting to me.  Crystal Skulls had too much CGI especially in the action sequences.  What made the originals were the realistic, practical effects.  Maybe he got lazy..

I'd say so, I think Spielberg phoned it in and relied far too much on unsightly CGI for the action set-pieces. People will say it aged badly, but there couldn't have been a point at which LaBeouf swinging through trees with cartoon monkeys ever looked good. Really, there was a general lack of thrill about the whole thing.

Still, I'd consider Mangold as perhaps having the right sensibility to take the series back to its roots. The original, Raiders-style tone, without the cartoonish nature of Crystal Skulls or possibly even the lighter goofiness of Last Crusade.

7 hours ago, Michael* said:

I'd say so, I think Spielberg phoned it in and relied far too much on unsightly CGI for the action set-pieces. People will say it aged badly, but there couldn't have been a point at which LaBeouf swinging through trees with cartoon monkeys ever looked good. Really, there was a general lack of thrill about the whole thing.

Raiders of the Lost Ark has an elaborate show in Universal Studios park.  I watched it twice.  It's the scene in Raiders where Indy fights the Nazis on top on a rotating airplane.   It also includes a setpiece from Raiders with the temple and the rolling ball.

I also know that there is the Temple of Doom show.

These practical effects are iconic and can be watched over and over again.  Growing up I saw Indy 1 and 3 more often than any other film.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 12:16 AM, Cult Icon said:

These practical effects are iconic and can be watched over and over again.  Growing up I saw Indy 1 and 3 more often than any other film.

Would you rate Temple below the others? For me, it's a slightly less fulfilling entry into the series than Raiders or Crusade, largely because I enjoy the focus on Indy as an intellectual and they seem to play it down a bit. It does boast some of Spielberg's best ever set pieces, though.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:45 PM, Michael* said:

Would you rate Temple below the others? For me, it's a slightly less fulfilling entry into the series than Raiders or Crusade, largely because I enjoy the focus on Indy as an intellectual and they seem to play it down a bit. It does boast some of Spielberg's best ever set pieces, though.

Temple is good but I feel like it's marred by the bad female lead.  Also the Chinese boy is not necessary.  But Temple has a lot of cool scenes though.  Crusade and Raiders have awesome female leads.  Temple also has more horror aspects than the other two.  

In my childhood I watched Temple the least.  I watched Crusade the most and Raiders 2nd.   I recall that Crusade was the most light hearted and had the most humor.  Raiders is probably the better movie though in terms of quality.

With Indy 5 this will be the 3rd time they will be fighting the Nazis.