feolla

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great interview.

Actor Charlie Hunnam Talks ‘Rebel Moon’ And His Focus For Future Roles

With Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire now streaming on Netflix and Rebel Moon - Part Two: The Scargiver scheduled to debut on the streaming giant come April 19, this expanding sci-fi cinematic universe from filmmaker Zack Snyder remains a hot topic across social media. With its strong ensemble cast and a larger-than-life production, Rebel Moon has introduced audiences to exciting, new worlds, populated by a wide array of resilient rebels and ruthless destroyers, including the character of Kai, who has cleverly blurred the line between good and evil.

Played by the actor Charlie Hunnam, previously best known for his performances in projects like Sons of Anarchy (2008-2014), Pacific Rim (2013) and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017), he quickly knew that Kai was the ideal, next role for him.

Hunnam said, “I read the script and just loved Kai - it just exploded off the screen to me. It was very, very personal, in a way. I don’t want this to come off the wrong way - I was very excited about working with Zack and incredibly excited about the world he was creating, but that probably represented about five percent of my motivation. Ninety-five percent of it was wanting to go on the journey with this character and really go on it with him - like sort of get out of the way and let Kai just sort of be an instrument - let Kai just sort of go ‘ape’ and do what he wanted to do. It was interesting - I’ve never had an experience where I felt kind of possessed before, and I didn’t really have to do much because there’s just this mad man inside of me who knew exactly what he wanted to do, as soon as I read the script the first time.”

The 43-year-old English actor went on to praise the Rebel Moon writer and director, calling Snyder really fun and that “he really loves filmmaking and the process everyday is this sort of rock & roll, punk rock process of exploration, where he says like, ‘Let’s get weird. Let’s get wild and let’s see what comes out of us.’”

During our conversation, Hunnam also revealed a rather unexpected behind-the-scenes moment from the Rebel Moon set.“Our big spider fight sequence that we have in the film took a long time to shoot. Most of us have nothing to do - watching in soft focus in the far background. I can’t remember if I’m exaggerating, saying that it was 18 days - we had to stand there.”

Surprised to hear that, I asked Hunnam, “They could not have just put you in front of a green screen for five minutes and got this done?”

Hunnam replied, “That’s the question I asked! I asked that question and no answer ever came. We just kept getting called back to set, so we went pretty wild during that three weeks of filming. There was like a lot of shenanigans going on on-set and behavior that I would never ordinarily get up to on a set, but we had fun.”

Looking beyond Rebel Moon, I asked Hunnam if he has noticed his interests and priorities as an actor evolving with the projects he wants, compared to his thought process 10 to 15 years ago.

“I think it’s a really, really, really interesting question actually, and I think that it’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot recently. I think the function of being an artist is to explore the forces that compel you in life, and the things that trouble you in the world and to use that as a vehicle to work through things and to explore them in a really rich and dynamic way. One of the things that’s difficult about being an actor is you’re normally outsourcing your talent to help somebody else tell the story that they’re interested in telling - and therefore, they’re exploring the problems and forces that are compelling them. You have to be really diligent to try to find some sort of unity in that and some sort of collective interest - otherwise, it can feel a bit of a hollow experience.”

Hunnam continued, “I feel more and more and more compelled to find characters, not only that feel exciting and interesting, but that are struggling with some of the things that I am struggling with, so that I can use that process as an opportunity to work through it and hopefully offer some sort of conclusion. I feel as storytellers, that is the function of what we are supposed to be doing, is taking difficult human condition issues and trying to understand them, and bring them to life in a hope that maybe we can edify the audience that are inevitably also struggling with some of those same issues.”

Circling back to Rebel Moon, even with Hunnam unlikely to return in Part Two, I wondered what he believes are the thoughts and themes that we as a society should take away from these expanding cinematic stories.

Hunnam said, “Some of the bigger issues that we’re facing on earth right now, collectively, in terms of lack of resources and our rapid consumption of available resources, and the neglect and destruction that we perpetuate on the environment on a daily basis, is one of the big themes that we have to really start looking after. This idea that I’ve really awakened to recently, sort of based on The Drake Equation. If you look out into the infinity of the universe, that it would be almost statistically impossible not to have other life forms - and yet, we’ve seen no evidence to that. So, that would lead us to the conclusion that intelligent life forms are somewhat destined to destroy themselves, which is a really grim prospect.”

He added, “That idea that single planet species are almost doomed to become instinct, for one reason or another, and the way to ameliorate that risk is to become a multi-planet species and to spread out. What Zack is saying, ‘Well, that’s all well and good, but if you don’t learn the lessons, then you’re just going to do to the greater universe or the galaxy what we’re doing to planet earth,’ which is a pretty scary message for us to consider.”

• 1 month later...