Bellazon

The 2007 Sport Illustrated Swimsuit discussion

anna89

Its not nice to say that about beyonce cos she is talented otherwise she wudnt have got the cover but just cos she said that stuff doesnt mean there was a rascist undertone or rasicim. I dont get y ppl r so bothered by this its hardly a thing to get bothered over wen there r serious sh*t happenin in the world that needs more attention than whether beyonce got the cover etc :whistle: im only saying and not havin a go at anyone :whistle:

I'm definitely outraged! And not just because Marisa didn't get the cover, but because giving it to a singer instead means one less deserving model will get to reach that high point in her career.

By the way, hello everyone, this is my first post.

She wasn't being rasit at all. It's just that other models had better shots and usually the best shot gets to be on the cover. And other girls had better pictures. It's not only the girl in the picture, it's the whole setting of the shot... She never said it was because she was African-American...She said other models...Selita, Oluchi, Jessica...they all look waaaaaaay better in their shots...Selita looks unbelieveble!!!!

It's kind of something silly to get mad about. Most people who subscribe to SI or buy the magazine are guys, and they don't really give a crap about the prestige involved in the cover. I subscribe to SI for the sports, the swimsuit issue is just a bonus -

Having lithe, stick figure models on the cover never really made sense - and while Beyonce doesn't really make any more sense - it isn't any worse. Frankly I think last year's cover was worse. Let's show a bunch of past-their-prime models, hooray!

IMHO it would make sense more for a mag like SI to use actual athletes like Maria Sharapova (even tho I'm not a huge fan) or at least athletic models like Marisa Miller (judge her all you want, but her surfing ability likely far surpasses the best athletic achievement of your favorite model - which would legitimize her more for things like SI than say Victoria's Secret or the runway - admit it).

It's kind of something silly to get mad about. Most people who subscribe to SI or buy the magazine are guys, and they don't really give a crap about the prestige involved in the cover. I subscribe to SI for the sports, the swimsuit issue is just a bonus -

Having lithe, stick figure models on the cover never really made sense - and while Beyonce doesn't really make any more sense - it isn't any worse. Frankly I think last year's cover was worse. Let's show a bunch of past-their-prime models, hooray!

IMHO it would make sense more for a mag like SI to use actual athletes like Maria Sharapova (even tho I'm not a huge fan) or at least athletic models like Marisa Miller (judge her all you want, but her surfing ability likely far surpasses the best athletic achievement of your favorite model - which would legitimize her more for things like SI than say Victoria's Secret or the runway - admit it).

I agree i dont like beyonce but if i had to pick between her and some skinny chick or last years cover id say her! But their was so many great shots in this issue that could of been a cover.

I bet Mathew Knowles made a deal that if beyonce was going ot be in it she would have to get the cover and it wasnt picked based on the actual photo. The modeling industry better wake up because its dieing.

I dont marisa should of ghotten the cover she is too....mens mag. It shoulda been one of those brazilian girls or Bar or Irina

Damn, I thought it was Fernanda Motta on the cover, and when I saw it .. it was Beyonce <_< . I'm so sick of Beyonce, she's everywhere. Magazines like SI should have MODELS on the cover. I'm disappointed. :no:

yeh they should have models that are nice, toned and athletic...oh wait i just described anabb :D

:rofl: It doesn't even have to be Ana, you know ? But a MODEL, yes.

Damn, I thought it was Fernanda Motta on the cover, and when I saw it .. it was Beyonce <_< . I'm so sick of Beyonce, she's everywhere. Magazines like SI should have MODELS on the cover. I'm disappointed. :no:

yeh they should have models that are nice, toned and athletic...oh wait i just described anabb :D

:rofl: It doesn't even have to be Ana, you know ? But a MODEL, yes.

Yup even a butterface like Marisa Miller could get it cos helloooooooooo?! It says it in the title of the mag 'Sports Iluustrated' so anyone that isnt really sporty looking shouldnt b on the cover :whistle:

Looking at some photos on the site,i was amazed by Bar.She looks great my guess is that she will be big in the sports illustrated and she won't be just leonardo dicaprio's girlfriend.Looking at the choosen models it also means that no more petra in the si

I don't follow the modeling industry like most of the people here, but it would seem to me that the cover of any major publication is prestigious.

The SI swimsuit issue is pretty significant in that it is the best selling issue of a very successful magazine - that a lot of people get anyway - and hits the "Golden Demographic" - 18-35 males. I subscribe, and I fit in to that demographic. That being said, magazines like Playboy and Maxim probably don't add to a model's prestige as a model. Why? Because in "Lads' Mags" the models are modeling themselves, not whatever outfit the photographer put them in. Does it raise their exposure among males? Of course, but we're not going to start buying fashion magazines to see them more, unless we have some issues or a pack-rat mentality. However if a model gets covers like SI and Cosmo and GQ and what not, actually modeling, I imagine that helps quite a bit. So why is SI important? Because it combines the mass exposure that one gets from a Lads' Mag with the legitimacy of a normal modeling job.

I read somewhere that Gisele Bundchen was the richest model on the planet right now, so I wonder how many covers she has in relation to other models? How many campaigns does she work for? etc.

Beyonce doesn't need the hype, and I think that's why a lot of you guys are mad - you have your favorite models that you want to see succeed and get more exposure - and to an extent I sympathize, I always wanted Laetitia Casta (or nowadays Marisa Miller) to land the cover so that they'd get more exposure (read: more pictures and videos for me to gawk at in awe) - but I haven't invested much time in that hope. Those of you with thousands of posts here and elsewhere in the threads of your favorites have, and I understand the annoyance.

But that being said, you can't expect SI to care about furthering a particular model's career, it isn't their job, they want to sell magazines. If their studies have determined that Beyonce, with her name recognition, will sell more magazines, they're going to do it - regardless of what Raica, Marisa, Ana B, or whoever's agent tells them to do.

Yup even a butterface like Marisa Miller could get it cos helloooooooooo?! It says it in the title of the mag 'Sports Iluustrated' so anyone that isnt really sporty looking shouldnt b on the cover :whistle:

"Butterface" is a relative term. Among models, maybe. But Marisa's face, when taken as a part of the greater population - isn't anything to be embarassed about. Her body however is out of this world in either realm.

Beyond that, I posted this in the other thread but I think it's on topic here too.

I don't follow the modeling industry like most of the people here, but it would seem to me that the cover of any major publication is prestigious.

The SI swimsuit issue is pretty significant in that it is the best selling issue of a very successful magazine - that a lot of people get anyway - and hits the "Golden Demographic" - 18-35 males. I subscribe, and I fit in to that demographic. That being said, magazines like Playboy and Maxim probably don't add to a model's prestige as a model. Why? Because in "Lads' Mags" the models are modeling themselves, not whatever outfit the photographer put them in. Does it raise their exposure among males? Of course, but we're not going to start buying fashion magazines to see them more, unless we have some issues or a pack-rat mentality. However if a model gets covers like SI and Cosmo and GQ and what not, actually modeling, I imagine that helps quite a bit. So why is SI important? Because it combines the mass exposure that one gets from a Lads' Mag with the legitimacy of a normal modeling job.

I read somewhere that Gisele Bundchen was the richest model on the planet right now, so I wonder how many covers she has in relation to other models? How many campaigns does she work for? etc.

Beyonce doesn't need the hype, and I think that's why a lot of you guys are mad - you have your favorite models that you want to see succeed and get more exposure - and to an extent I sympathize, I always wanted Laetitia Casta (or nowadays Marisa Miller) to land the cover so that they'd get more exposure (read: more pictures and videos for me to gawk at in awe) - but I haven't invested much time in that hope. Those of you with thousands of posts here and elsewhere in the threads of your favorites have, and I understand the annoyance.

But that being said, you can't expect SI to care about furthering a particular model's career, it isn't their job, they want to sell magazines. If their studies have determined that Beyonce, with her name recognition, will sell more magazines, they're going to do it - regardless of what Raica, Marisa, Ana B, or whoever's agent tells them to do.

i agree, but i wouldn't say that the SI one is THE ONLY SINGLE COVER THAT MATTERS IN A MODEL'S CAREER :cain:

Daria werbowy kate moss or Gemma ward never graced the cover of any sexy magazine (but they did grace major covers such as Vogue) and they make a lot more money than say marisa miller...

Anyways this is just me making sure the high fashion girls are shown some respect on that board :p

Adriana coulda of pushed just as many copies.

Probably, but when has she ever been in the mag? There are a lot of models that could have transcended what Beyonce or the other models could have. What if Jessica Alba or Scarlett Johansson were on the cover? SI wouldn't be able to print them fast enough.

Although personally I think Adriana looks better in general fashion and lingerie than swimsuits - it's just not her strength in my opinion - but I'm just one man. It's basically the opposite of how I feel about Marisa Miller, who would probably agree with me when I say she was born to wear a bikini.

i agree, but i wouldn't say that the SI one is THE ONLY SINGLE COVER THAT MATTERS IN A MODEL'S CAREER :cain:

Daria werbowy kate moss or Gemma ward never graced the cover of any sexy magazine (but they did grace major covers such as Vogue) and they make a lot more money than say marisa miller...

Anyways this is just me making sure the high fashion girls are shown some respect on that board :p

You'll get no argument from me. But I think it's problematic trying to label all models in to the same group. It's actually a pretty specialized industry. Very few models (like the ones who have their own subforums here) transcend beyond one or two things.

gisele has graced the covers of virtually any major magazine and worked for virtually every important designer, she's gotten more campains and money than an average model would in 10 lives... she's an exception :p